Remote Start Facts (2011 - 2015 only) | Page 25 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Remote Start Facts (2011 - 2015 only)

The wiring doesn't exist on the base model. There are installation instructions that show where it goes.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The wiring doesn't exist on the base model. There are installation instructions that show where it goes.

can you provide me the installation instructions please? i'm expecting the wiring harness to arrive soon.

Thanks in advance.

my 2011 base had a hood switch harness but no switch, maybe in the later years they started counting pennies

Can I enable RS with forscan, program 5 button fob and it work the same way or dealer only?

No. The fusion is a different platform.

remote start with Forscan

2012 Ford Explorer, sync 2 version 3.10,
Enable remote start requirements:
1- hood switch
2- A 5 button key fob (the one with the engine start in the middle) after market will work as long as it/they are right frequency
3- two working keys, if you don't have two keys you may have to have keys programmed by dealer or locksmith
4- modded elm327
5- laptop PC (not sure if this will work with wireless elm327 because i don't have one)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Step 1
program your new keys
insert your new original key in the ignition turn it to the on position listen for one chime and turn off, repeat with the second original key, repeat with first new key and (if more than one new key) repeat with following new keys, if this was successful the new keys will start the engine via the ignition (not the RS button yet).
Step 2
program the buttons on the new key fobs
put a original key in the ignition turn the ignition on and off 8 times quickly (not too fast though) the door locks will lock/unlock if you successfully entered program mode, now quickly hit the lock button on ALL keys (old new even the one in the ignition) if this was successful all keys will lock/unlock doors.
Step 3
Edit bdyCM
I am going to assume you know the basics of forscan, I recommend you make a back up of your original configuration (click save all at the bottom).
now in your bdyCM find 726-19-01 and edit value to 0148 now click "write" you should see some flickering of the head unit and/or instruments
Step 4
Edit IPC
find 720-01-03 change value to
C8f3 if you do NOT have heated seats or steering wheel,
F823 if you have heated seats but NO heated steering wheel,
FC27 if you HAVE heated seats and steering wheel
click "write"
you should see some flickering of the head unit and/or instruments, if this was successful you should now have remote start options in your instrument cluster.
--------------------------Congratulations You're Done--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If all was successful you should click lock 2x on FOB (the horn should beep as long as you didn't silence it previously) and 2x on the start button (middle button on the FOB) the engine will start!

I'm guessing the above is for those with the IKT and that for those with an IA key the procedure would be somewhat different.

Peter

I need help to identify the connector type for the hood switch wire

what type and name the connector are these three ?

type1.JPG

Ok all, where is the best place to purchase the 5 button blank for a 2013 XLT, and what is the best bluetooth ELM device to get so I can use Forscan to enable remote start on my 2013 which does have a hood switch. Please let me know.

There are threads that cover both items. Here is one I found using the Forum's handy 'Search' feature; Extra / Spare Explorer Key As for the ELM question, check out the threads on Forscan. A similar ELM question came up not too long ago.

Peter

remote start with Forscan

2012 Ford Explorer, sync 2 version 3.10,
Enable remote start requirements:
1- hood switch
2- A 5 button key fob (the one with the engine start in the middle) after market will work as long as it/they are right frequency
3- two working keys, if you don't have two keys you may have to have keys programmed by dealer or locksmith
4- modded elm327
5- laptop PC (not sure if this will work with wireless elm327 because i don't have one)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Step 1
program your new keys
insert your new original key in the ignition turn it to the on position listen for one chime and turn off, repeat with the second original key, repeat with first new key and (if more than one new key) repeat with following new keys, if this was successful the new keys will start the engine via the ignition (not the RS button yet).
Step 2
program the buttons on the new key fobs
put a original key in the ignition turn the ignition on and off 8 times quickly (not too fast though) the door locks will lock/unlock if you successfully entered program mode, now quickly hit the lock button on ALL keys (old new even the one in the ignition) if this was successful all keys will lock/unlock doors.
Step 3
Edit bdyCM
I am going to assume you know the basics of forscan, I recommend you make a back up of your original configuration (click save all at the bottom).
now in your bdyCM find 726-19-01 and edit value to 0148 now click "write" you should see some flickering of the head unit and/or instruments
Step 4
Edit IPC
find 720-01-03 change value to
C8f3 if you do NOT have heated seats or steering wheel,
F823 if you have heated seats but NO heated steering wheel,
FC27 if you HAVE heated seats and steering wheel
click "write"
you should see some flickering of the head unit and/or instruments, if this was successful you should now have remote start options in your instrument cluster.
--------------------------Congratulations You're Done--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If all was successful you should click lock 2x on FOB (the horn should beep as long as you didn't silence it previously) and 2x on the start button (middle button on the FOB) the engine will start!

Just have to say, I have just done this and it works very well. I am sort of a Forscan rookie, but work in the IT field so wasn't that difficult once I was more familiar with how Forscan works. Also, I bought two 5 button keys for our 2013 XLT from on online retailer for about $60, had them cut for $6.50 for both, programmed them myself and what do you know they work and so does the Remote start. I am just beside myself. This is awesome. I do have a question however and this is probably because they are aftermarket keys. I have to his lock twice and then the remote start button twice to get the EX to start. Is this normal?

........ I have to his lock twice and then the remote start button twice to get the EX to start. Is this normal?
I believe that normally you only have to press 'lock' once and the remote start button twice. The remote start button should have the ' 2X' marked on it. Either way, it is working for you. Well done.

Peter

I have a 2014 Ford Explorer XLT and have the hood pin but call all the ford dealers near me and they know NOTHING about it. Says if it was a "option" it would of came with remote start. Anyone in Virginia did this and where? Id like to purchase this for my girlfriend as a Christmas gift. Thanks kindly for your help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

As others have said, read the first post of this entire thread. Your 2014 EX more than likely already had the base system installed especially if you have the hood switch. I just did this to my 2013 XLT. Purchased an ELM327 ($17) USB corded device that I plugged into my Windows notebook and ran the program FORSCAN from forscan.org. changed a few settings and bang, Remote start is enabled on my 2013 EX. Bought two 5 button keys from Amazone for about $55. Had them cut at a local hardware store for $6.50 and then programed the two new keys myself (instructions in this thread and in the owners manual). You must, however, have two OEM keys for your truck. If not you need to go to the dealer and try to convince them to enable remote start on your truck via IDS. They will try to charge you $500 to install OEM remote start on your truck (don't ask me how I know), but if you have two OEM keys and you read through this thread, you should have no problem doing it. Mine works like a charm especially now that we are getting 6-8 inches of the white stuff here in NJ. Good luck.

Back