Remote Start On 01 Expy Sprt | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

bobbygbreeze

Reaction score
City, State
Little Rock, AR
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 4WD
This might be a very confusing question which would require a very confusing solution (atleast to me). I have an 01 expy Sprt with the door handles shaved off with an autoloc door pop kit but I still have the keypad ( I also know the code). I want to install a Scytec Visionguard8000 (camera alarm system) with keyless start. Would I be able to keep and use the keypad with the alarm system and if so would I need any bypass modules for any portion of the install. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Here are a few pix of my work in progress if anyone is interested.

So far I have:

Both labo doors on (welded install)
Door handles shaved off: Autoloc Door poppers installed
Cold Air intake
Custom sub boxes (work-in-progress)
Custom Fiberglass Console (work-in-progress)

Thanks,

Bobby

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the ford factory unit works with the side codes... so I imagine you'd be fine

the side codes are more like an extension of the same unit that runs the key fobs so there would have to be some interface

my 500 has the ford aftermarket remote start and the unit interfaces to the RAP module which is Exactly what would have to happen on the explorer

After looking at that alarms install book. Here is what i would do. With alarms if the alarm is going off and you hit the unlock button to shut it off, sometimes it will unlock the doors. You dont want this to happen because it will pop your door.

For the doors:
-I would take the blue/white wire (pass. unlock) and hook it up to the drivers side door popper. this way you hit the unlock twice and it will pop the driver only door.
- take the gray which is your trunk output and wire that into the pass. door popper. this way you only hit that button to open that door.
- Hook the door lock wire up as normal so it still locks the doors when you arm it and unlock when you disarm (on the first press of it, you hit the unlock that second time that is when the drivers door will pop open if wired this way).

All that factory keypad on the door will do is unlock and lock. It would take too much to make this pop the doors.

Here is where you are kind of SOL is the fact you only have 1 key. You will need to go to a dealership or a locksmith and have a second key cut. Your key has a chip in it and for the truck to start the BCM needs to see this key resistance. All of the aftermarket bypass modules need 2 factory keys (not 1 and one replacement) to program them. So that is why i said to get one cut and programmed and just use that one. Normally you can program a new key or a module with 2 factory keys, but with only having 1 you need a programmer hooked up to the vehicle for it to program.

Heres a response from cmk0808:

cmk0808 said:
i would wire the door poppers to a aux output of the alarm.
lock and unlock as usual. need to unlock car first then press aux to pop door.

you NEED 2 keys. you will have to go to the dealership for this.

do you have other questions about the r/s system?

i have not installed a syteck but could look at a manual if you have one to email and ill try to help as best as i can.

the factory keypad will not pop doors only unlock. it will still set off aftermarket alarm. i meant to say use 2 aux outputs of alarm 1 for driver and a second output for pass door.
i think you may need to look at the ford aftermarket rs, keyless alarm system. it would intergrate the outside door pad to work the aftermarket alarm. the new system has a 1 and 2 button that could be wired to the door poppers.
t is the gold ford remote start that has (2) 6 button remotes. may find online but available at dealer.

the factory keypad will not pop doors only unlock. it will still set off aftermarket alarm. i meant to say use 2 aux outputs of alarm 1 for driver and a second output for pass door.
i think you may need to look at the ford aftermarket rs, keyless alarm system. it would intergrate the outside door pad to work the aftermarket alarm. the new system has a 1 and 2 button that could be wired to the door poppers.
t is the gold ford remote start that has (2) 6 button remotes. may find online but available at dealer.

Those are Code alarm modules, they are still triggered by the door keypad, it is basically an aftermarket alarm system with a Ford logo on it.

The ones that do work with the keypad are the Add ons, which have an Arm wire that goes to "lock" and a disarm that goes to "unlock", those will use the stock remote FOB

no the ford gold remote start will do what he wants with the keypad on the door. the ford gold system is one of a very very few that does it all including the keypad.

any rs/ keyless system will work with the keypad but not all alarm systems will

hmmm I'll have to check on mine then, I thought I had the gold one, and there's no way to hook it to the keypad, so I guess I have a lower system...

it has to be hooked up correctly. most installers wont do it correctly to save time but still functions for lock and unlock. it ties into the door lock motor wires to work correctly.

I downloaded the manual for the gold one and it looks different than mine, remotes look the same tho'

It keypad on the outside of the door is tied directly to the locks. What you may be able to do is to interceipt the wires going from the module to the lock so that when you activate your code it will unlock and pop the drivers door. this will take some diodes and possibly extra relays.

With that alarm that he is looking at, it doesnt have 2 aux outputs. that is why I described the way i did. Yes normally you would use a trunk output and another aux but in this care you cant.

Even with the factory code alarm add on systems it doesnt tie into that keypad on the outside of the door. That system is simply a code alarm brand system with a ford emblem on the remote. it amy also come with a "t-harness" for the ignition wires so you dont have to splice into them.

I will warn you know that code alarm the range will suck. I have delt with many customers in my shops that i took those out for a aftermarket one.

Those factory add on ones are the only ones that i have seen that has a alarm disarm input. This is something that i have always thought needed to be added into alarms. So that when you would unlock with the keypad it would shut off the aftermarket.

I dearly thank you gents for all of your help. I'm still waiting on the system to arrive by mail so it may be another couple of days until I can attempt any installation. I think I just ran into a bigger problem now, My keypad isn't working.

Okay, I'm back with a few more questions with this install if anyone is still willing to aid me in my endevors. So I have been comparing the factory wiring to the new rs/keyless entry/ alarm system and I just about figured most of the wiring. As of now (because of my newbiness {if thats even a word} and little technical experience) I am having problems with just a few wires - where exactly to place them. IF anyone cares to check the manual, here is the site: http://www.scytek.net/manuals/visionguard/vg8000.pdf . PAge 18 and 19 are the system wiring pages. I am having a little trouble with pin/wire 14Orange, 16 White/violet, and 19 White.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Bobby

pin 14 orange- not needed
pin 16 violet white- hook to camera module or DARK GREEN/PURPLE (-) rearm factory security wire in driver kick panel. test by locking driver door with key in door.
pin 19 white- park lights WHITE/BLACK (+) or BROWN (+) at headlight switch. set jumper in module to positive.

pin 14 orange- not needed
pin 16 violet white- hook to camera module or DARK GREEN/PURPLE (-) rearm factory security wire in driver kick panel. test by locking driver door with key in door.
pin 19 white- park lights WHITE/BLACK (+) or BROWN (+) at headlight switch. set jumper in module to positive.

Thanks friend, you are awesome. I wish i could test that rearm with the key in the door but unfortunately the door handles are shaved and the keyhole is gone as well. Nonetheless, I really appreciate your help on this. I will start the install a little later, i'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks again

I'm having a really hard time finding tht dark green/purple wire.

Scratch that last message. Alarm is now installed but new problem, The alarm kicks itself on for no reason after about an hour or so. I think this might have something to do with the GEM. Correct me if I am wrong. What would I do in this case ?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back