• Register Today It's free!

Remote start

brianb

Reaction score
City, State
new jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 Limited
I'm looking to get my dad a remote start for his diesel excursion for christmas and i was wondering if anyone had suggestions on a particular brand or any helpful websites. Thanks for the help

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I bought 2 Bulldog units a while back at Wally World. Cost about $40 each I put on on Windstar and other on Subaru Legacy. Wife totaled the van so I took it out before it was junked. Planning on putting in X, just never enough time. Bulldog has a site to pull wiring color codes for most vehicles. Might want to try that.

You can take it to Ford and they will install the Ford remote start. Its actually made by code alarm.

If you want to do it the right way, you'll need to buy one with a programmable start delay to accommodate the diesel start up procedure.

The thing with remote starts that I don't like is that you have to carry around a seperate remote.. And do they work with the factory alarm systems? Like, I want to get my fiance one for her Mazda 6 but I don't want it to interfere with her alarm/keyless entry.

most of the better ones will blend with your factory system so you only have one remote

I have both a CodeAlarm and a DEI - both have worked well for years, I prefer my CodeAlarm only cause it only requires pushing one button where as my DEI requires pushing two. Though this may have changed in newer models.

I wanted to add that my Code-Alarm has better range (I have started the vehicle upto 150yrds away through buildings), but the DEI is still respectable in this area (75-100yrds with line of site).

I only use one button on my DEI, It can be set up so that it is a one push button or two pushes, in case you keep it in your pocket and something bumps it. Mine is set up for two pushes.

Get a remote start with keyless entry and you don't have to mess with the factory crap, just don't lock it with the factory keyfob use the new one, but you don't have to dissable anything.

What are you looking for? 90% of them have a setting for diesel, most it just waits, some facny ones get tied into the glow plug light. Are you going to install it (all weekend job if you have never done it before) or pay someone to install it?

If you have someone install it then best to find what you can buy locally cause they won't install something else typically.

If you are going to install it (its not hard) go here: http://www.powercallsirens.com/systems.htm

I got my CA640 from them last winter. Great prices for the quality you get, get products, they have great support if you have any questions or problems with the install, they will mail or fax you a sheet with all the details on your specific truck (wire location and color).

I like my code alarm. range is good and it hasn't let me down. and I can turn the glow plug delay on for winter and off for summer.

Im gonna have the guys at ford do it, they have a private contractor come in to do strictly remote starts. So hopefully he's good. Thanks a lot for all the responses

brianb said:
Im gonna have the guys at ford do it, they have a private contractor come in to do strictly remote starts. So hopefully he's good. Thanks a lot for all the responses

I would just find out who they use and go straight to the source, a stealership won't be cheap.

Back