Mr_Fruffles

Reaction score
City, State
Denver, CO from Tinley Park, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Ford Explorer XLT
Callsign
Mr_Fruffles
Has anyone had experience or know of a write up on a particular remote start kit? I just want a basic remote start (one way for all I care) that will work and will not cost a ton. DIY install is a plus but not required. I imagine the cheap ones on ebay are missing things or just flat out suck but maybe I am wrong?

Any information would be appreciated.

(FYI It is for a 2004 Explorer XLT 4.0L V6)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I also have been wondering about this. I also have a 2004 :thumbsup:

looks like we are the only ones lol

I actually have a remote start in my 04 Mounty. i havent seen anything on this site for it when i looked as i have some questions as well. what i did find out is that some places by me will sell and install a basic remote for $150 total. I may take them up on it for my older truck.

I have been looking at one on eBay for around $90-100 that supposedly works with the factory key fob. I just don't know if it is going to be reliable and actually work with the factory fob. Ironically enough, I have an 04 as well, lol!

I was quoted $350 for an entry level system, pricey for what I want out of it

I have been professionally installing car alarms/electronics for over 15 years now and will tell you that as a diy'er, its not the easiest but if you have the right tools and mechanical/wiring knowledge it can be done. If you're going to be purchasing a system, don't waste your money on a no name system that may not work out the box! Look for reputable companies to purchase from, but that also goes for having a system installed. Don't use a shop that will install your system with scotchlocs, it'll only cut the wire in half, degrading the connection. You will also need an immobilizer interface because of the pats system in our trucks. They'll need two programmed keys to program the immobilizer module.

If you're going to be purchasing a system, don't waste your money on a no name system that may not work out the box! Look for reputable companies to purchase from, but that also goes for having a system installed.

This is good advice to follow, even if you install it yourself. A few years ago, I bought a basic Bulldog brand remote start for cheap on an after Christmas markdown. I asked my ex-Ford mechanic ex-neighbor if he thought I could pull off installing it myself. He pretty much told me to take that POS unit back, and invest in a decent brand unit. High quality from the beginning would lead to less problems in the future. I have not installed a remote start unit yet, but when I browse online, I keep looking at the Viper brand. I have a Viper alarm installed in my Paseo. A buddie of mine who used to install them, installed it with a bit of my help. Zero problems, and it was installed 17 years ago.

You're absolutely right. Directed electronics makes Viper, Python, Automate, Avital, and Astrostart. Voxx makes Prestige and Codealarm. Compustar is big in colder areas. Omega makes good products as well. Some will say autopage but we had issues when we do business at the shop.

Your next thing is to figure out what you want the system to do. Do you still want to carry your keyless remote as well as a new one for remote start or do you want the remote start to duplicate your original system to only carry 1 remote that does it all. Plus you've got visual confirmation on some systems in the form of leds or an lcd screen.

Back