• Register Today It's free!

Remote Start

97splorer

Reaction score
City, State
Overland Park, Kansas
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT 5.0 AWD
Would putting a remote start on my X hurt it in any way? I saw some for around $100 and figured what the hell. I just want to make sure it won't screw any thing electrical up.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i have one on mine.. no problems whatsoever. mine currently has a range of over 500 feet. my dorm is approximately 550 feet from where i always park my car. and tahts from the ground floor. ive tried my remote starter from 10 floors up with no problems.

Yeah, I have the Clifford remote start...no problems, hell it even starts up the car automatically when you don't yourself for a long time (eg. on vacation in hawaii) so you'll never have to worry about the battery dying.

how much for this clifford? Have a model number, maybe estimated price? So it will learn it's start-up times, and automatically shut off? COOL!:cool:

You can also get them from Sams Club for about $30. They are from Bulldog, thats what I have on mine, but there are no fancy features like it starting itself when you are away, its just the base auto-start with the options of door lock/unlock. And you can get an excellent wiring diagram off their website that details each wire and its color and location.

Did you do the install yourself? If so, how hard is it and how long did it take?

The install was a challenge, the hardest part was finding the wires. The instructions were remarkably easy to go by, and it took me about 2 hours to do, and that includes getting on the computer and printing the diagram and other stuff. Its just a matter of finding the right wire, then splicing in the corresponding remote starter wire. But its all worth it, when after doing so much splicing and connecting you push the start button and your vehicle roars to life on its own! What a feeling.....:D

Clifford was $500 for the base alarm system, then an additional $200 i believe for the remote "Intellistart 4" plus installation...no way in hell i would attempt to do that myself. but in my opinion its well worth the money, particularly for those guys who live in areas where snow is heavy. start up the car 5 mins from the house before you get in and the engine is nice and warmed up.

u know they have the viper responder ( with the lcd pager keychain) with alarm and remote starter at best buy for 500 installed

I had the Basic Viper autostart with keyless entry put onto my '94 sport. I love it here in Wisconsin with winter coming, also good in summer, instead of warming it up, cool it down in summer, just turn the air on before you leave. Total install costed me around $350. I too get easily 500 feet distance.

I wan't the Viper system, im by Houston. I don't want anything stolen ;)

I thought with the electronic key, you couldnt use a romote start? Is this true?

Thanks ahead of time.

What about if you have a factory alarm and remote entry? Can you get one that works with that and uses the same remote?

with the key with the chip in it, you need to get the transponder, which bypasses the chip function. itz about $15 i believe.

Yob - I know that u can get a remote starter that will allow you to use the factory remote for some cars. my dads pathfinder we got 2 summers ago only came with keyless entry. we upgraded to the alarm, but they forgot to put it on.. so we *****ed, and we got the remote starter for free. it was the same remote, just programmed so that if u press lock twice, it would remote start and if u press lock twice again, it would shut off. I dont know if u can buy a unit for ur X that would work the same way because ford never came otu with a factory remote starter. Best bet is to check out an audio alarm store that might be able to program the remote starter function into ur remote. good luck

You can add a remote start to a vehicle with a transponder keys. you just need a correct transponder module to trick the vehicle into thinking it has the key in the ignition. This type of install is best left up to the pros as you could screw up your vehicle.
Tim

could you let me know where I can get one of these?

thanks in advance.

Best Buy yes, MAYBE walmart or sams club would have it for cheaper tho, but I dont know for sure about the last 2.

Well wiring into the igntion, brake switch, parking lights is the cake part. It's the stupid transponders in the keys that suck. If you have the big fat ford key you probably have a transponder in it. There is 2 ways to bypass that. 1 is to get a transponder module which there is 2 kinds, the first one you need to put and extra key inside the module and there is a loop that you wrap around the ignition so many times, the other still has the wrap thing but instead of using the key, you program the transponder signal into it. OOORRRR, there is the getto way like we used to do it at my saturday job when those stupid things first came out, where you pry out that little door on the end of the key and pull the transponder out, then just glue it ignition switch in the right spot and there you go, instant bypass. Oh yeah with that you have to take the transponders out of all your other keys cuase the 2 transponders cancel eachother out. But the wireing to the ignition is easy, just get a test light and cycle the key and you'll find the wires you need to use.

Going along with jssong, there is a remote start that you can add onto your existing X keyless remote. There is pretty much 2 kinds. A standalone which comes with it's own remotes and a slave unit which you add on to either an existing alarm or keyless remote. They basically just tap into the door lock/unlock circut to activate. Pretty much the unit will determine the sequence of lock unlock you need to press to start your X.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I bought the bulldog remote start for my wife's XLT it came with an installation video and then I downloaded the wiring schematic from their website. It was easy!

Her's was an automatic, my Sport is a manual it was tougher. My autostart works my door locks and interior lights and starts up when the temp outside reaches set temps. The install was very time consuming because of the safety features with a manual shift. I bought mine on Ebay for 69.00 my wifes was 49.00.

I figure I saved myself several hundreds of dollars installing it myself and adding value to the vehicles as well.

I would reccomend searching on Ebay for Autostarts.

Back