Removal of exhaust shield for 5r55e transmission service | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Removal of exhaust shield for 5r55e transmission service

3xowner

Reaction score
City, State
Western US
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 Explorer EB 4SOHC RWD
I am preparing for a diy servicing on my transmission. The first three were done by shops. I can only floor jack this and of course will be laying down doing the work:(

I am needing to ask, how is the exhaust shield bolted or secured on to the trans housing and is it required to be removed or loosened in order to remove the trans pan bolts and dropping of the pan?

My explorer is 2000 Eddie Bauer, 4 door, 4.0L SHOC, 2WD.

All info I found either never discusses the shield or simply says remove or swing to the side. I cannot tell what type of bolts, screws, or push pins are securing the shield.

Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well after giving it another attempt to look over by crawling underneath.... it does seem that the shield is simply clipped onto the trans pan and housing edge lips. Does seem that a little prying will take it off. I had gone to the dealership down the road and the parts guy was not able to bring up a diagram of this area showing the heat shield.....

I do prefer OEM and man the price difference on even the filter is a lot. The gasket too, but the gasket is much different than after market ones. OEM is heavy cork and appears to have metal reinforcing around the bolt holes.

I will add photos later today.

Yeah it just clips on, should fill up with full synthetic trans fluid while you're at it.

I don't understand why I should I put in synthetic now? What brand ?

It was hard enough to get MERCON V and I got that from them dealer..... No one really stocked Mercon V.

I would imagine that Ford ran an Explorer or had commercial accounts that ran vehicles on Motorcraft for 300k on OEM.... That in itself tells me, don't mess with aftermarket.

Case in point is Motorcraft HP DOT 3... boiling point is 20' higher than say Valvoline.... Also why is it that the OEM gasket has metal nodes whereas no after market does? I want 300k on my vehicle....

I've already got $84 into Mercon V fluid.... got 12 instead of 10 Quarts .... and $80 in filter and gasket..... why even go into Synthetic? I've learned lessons before in not going with OEM and must say, sure some aftermarket seals and works, but there truly is something for OEM parts.

For most others reading this and trying to determine the best path for themselves:
I will say here is what I had been quoted prior to digging into this for myself:
189 for trans flush
250 for Filter change
350 for Filter and flush
All were from a dealer.... $250 was quoted for all from a shop guaranteeing mercon v, but I doubt it.

in the end, place your trust in yourself !

Because it handles heat better and lasts longer.
Brand? I suppose Mobil1, that part is up to you.
The 5r55e needs all the help it can get.

Full synthetic actually breathed new life into the transmission of my 1997.
I don't wish a blinking o/d light on any Explorer owner.

In my opinion it's worth the extra cost.

I'll look around, but seems Mercon V is not a popular fluid carried by everyone. Motorcraft has a blend, but then again a blend at 2.5x regular fluid.

Service is done.... Shield was a pain to get back into place has I simply pulled it away and upwards to be above the pan. After draining pan and replacing filter and gasket with Motorcraft parts, I allowed the return cooling line to expel old fluid while running and refilling fluid. Took a 2 adjustments to get level where I wanted it. Only thing I had forgotten was to torque any bolts inside when pan was off. A good YouTube video does demonstrate that. Torqued pan bolts properly. Glad I used Oem gasket as after market ones are just not a match on the design.

Back