Remove ball-joint from A arms in order to put on BTF Spacers? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Remove ball-joint from A arms in order to put on BTF Spacers?

michaelkill4

Reaction score
City, State
Helotes, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 XLT
Hello,

Workin on putting my spacers on and tried not to disconnect upper ball joint to a-arms. but the strut is to long and even when compressed by jack will not go up in order for me to attach the lower strut bolt. If I disconnect the upper ball joint will it harm the ball joint at all? but will it drop it down so i can attach the lower strut bolt? Help would be great :)
michael

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

disconnect the ball joint from the knuckle ... bolt the lower strut in and pry down the lower a arm and slide in the upper strut assembly and DONE i had the same problem ... lower strut first then upper

so your saying to put the bottom of the strut in first then the top??

Yes

ok, so why do i need to take off the ball joint? do i need to take off the brake caliper and all that crap too?

Read the sticky that has install instructions ... remove caliper and ziptie out of the way disconnect ballpoint take strut assembly out and install spacer ... put lower strut in the upper and reassemble

the reason for doing so is to allow the control arm to drop alot lower than normal to get the strut with the spacer back in....

Back