• Register Today It's free!

Remove Step Bars 2005 Exp XLT

Yankee_man_2012

Reaction score
City, State
New England and Pennsylvania
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Explorer XLT 4x4
I have begun removing my rusted step-rails (bars). The 13 mm nuts came off just fine. Above these there are 13 mm bolts. The front and aft brace have only one bolt, the center brace has 2 bolts. As I back these out, they begin spinning freely as if the threaded backing plate or tack-welded nut (that can not be seen) is spinning with the bolt. Thus i can not remove the braces holding on the step bars. Have others encountered this? What is it that the bolts thread into? How do I lock-up whatever is turning - that I can't see nor grasp - so that the 13 mm bolts can be completely backed-out. Thanks in advance....:usa:

I had step bars, not the solid plastic one. These are what the upper most bolts threaded into.

As you turn the bolt, these swing and hit the frame and stop. So depending on which way you turn, they'll have a bit of swing.

If they've rusted away, you'll have the drill off the bolt head to remove the thread portion. Just be careful, as the fuel lines are close to one of the bolts.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 166

Back