Removed badges, how to blend the fade marks? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Removed badges, how to blend the fade marks?

PPro

Reaction score
City, State
Whitmore Lake, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 Sport
I have a white 02 Sport that I just removed the badges on, and as expected there is a different in the paint that has seen the elements and the paint that hasn't. I cleaned it very well with goo gone and a few coats of wax that I let dry really well, which helped to blend it all together.

Is there a cleaner or wax product that can make these lines fade together a bit better to be less noticable? At this time I think only I will notice it, but I'm ****. I know the paint wont ever "match," at least until mother nature does it over a few years of dirt, sun, and washing.

Any ideas on how to make it as good as I can for now? I do have access to a power buffer, I'm thinking that and a good cleaner wax would do the trick?

no need for a buffer, remove all the wax you applied by washing with Dawn liquid dish detergent,by waxing, all you did was seal the surface, you want to get back to the orig clearcoat,what you have is some mildley oxidized paint, but under the badges is as new, you need a clearcoat safe poliishing compound such as #7, strip the wax, polish and re-wax, will blend to perfection

Ditto, you need three items only, a clean rag(shirt, etc.), a light compound, and a no grit wax or polish.

Go at it first with the clean rag and a cleaner wax(kight compound). You need a very fine grit polishing substance, which is what a lot of polishing waxes and cleaner waxes are. These are just very fine compound waxes. You need to start with something which has some grit in it.

Rub with a small amount on a small portion of the rag, evenly over the area which is damaged. After that, add the non grit wax to the same part of the rag, and rub the area again. Then use a clean portion of the rag to apply the non grit wax again.

These steps can remove any scratches in clearcoat, not scratches that go through clearcoat. This process does remove a little paint, and it only takes a couple of minutes to do one small area. Start by rubbing gently as you get used to doing it. Good luck,

Does it have to be Dawn brand? Or will any dish soap work? I'm think they're all pretty much the same thing anyway...

I assume polishing compound is different then the wax I have, I'll have to go pick some up. Any brand recommendation? I would probably just grab whatever the local Car Quest has, unless a certain brand is better than the others.

Thanks for the help, I'll get on it tomorrow.

Back