Removing Dash Rubber Coating (How to fix a peeling Dash) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Removing Dash Rubber Coating (How to fix a peeling Dash)

Fatty explorer

Reaction score
City, State
Everett, wa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer XLT 5.0
Ive seen quite a few Threads and Posts on here of people asking about the amazing dash coating ford puts on the radio bezel and cup holders gauge cluster etc. If someone else has already covered this before im sorry but I had some fantastic luck with ZEP WRITE AWAY. Here are my Results

First remove bezel then grab yourself a basic oil pan, kitty litter pan or whatever you have. Lay the bezel in the pan and give the entire piece a good coat of the ZEP. leave it on until the rubber coating starts to blister up. soon as this chemical reaction starts get yourself a good "Greenie weenie" or 3M scotch bright and lightly start to wipe those flakes up. all this is very simple and takes about 2-3 min before the reaction starts. You have to re apply for the stubborn areas but everything lets go and the rubber comes right off. Be sure to tape off the white lettering labels on the rear wiper buttons and 4wd switch face or the ZEP will remove them all. WEAR GLOVES.

IMG_20150516_153619.jpg

IMG_20150516_164222.jpg

IMG_20150516_165743.jpg

IMG_20150516_181610.jpg

201006-16-111838-1.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Active ingredient- citrus solvent.

yeah it smells like a fresh cut orange lol. although ive been told you should use it in a very well ventilated area.

yeah it smells like a fresh cut orange lol. although ive been told you should use it in a very well ventilated area.

Like maybe in the middle of an Orange Grove?

This may have been a better option then the oven cleaner I used, same flaking reaction but not the orange smell for sure. You can take off the 4x4 and wiper/window labels so you don't have to tape. They are basicly plastic welded on the back -just plastic weld back. I didn't want to chance ruining them with chemicals used to remove the paint.

This may have been a better option then the oven cleaner I used, same flaking reaction but not the orange smell for sure. You can take off the 4x4 and wiper/window labels so you don't have to tape. They are basicly plastic welded on the back -just plastic weld back. I didn't want to chance ruining them with chemicals used to remove the paint.

yeah I was worried about having leak through with the painters tape but it held just fine and I had no issues at all.

Back