Removing Engine | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Removing Engine

nobodyfresh

Reaction score
I've been reading some of the engine removal threads and have a simple question.

Can I remove the engine with the transmission still attached to it? It will be easier to detach the transmission from the engine with it out of the vehicle... I understand that all trucks are different, but this is how I've always done it before.

I'd like to freshen up the transmission while replacing the engine, so I will ultimately be removing both. I'm hoping that I can pull them both out at the same time. I think I can as long as I disconnect the driveshafts, unbolt the crossmember, and unplug any electrical connections it will work.

Thanks in advance! I love this place!

i've rebuilt my motor and when we took it out it was a pretty tight fit, im not saying it cant be done id just be careful with it.

Thanks for the reply.

Did you keep the transmission attached when you removed it? I suspect that I'll have to remove the radiator also. I have a 2ton cherry picker that can pull pretty high, and I have a nice load leveler to help with angling it.

no we just unbolted the motor and pulled it out. the radiator will need to come out or else it will hit.
when we did it it looked kinda tight for both to come out but if you have a leveler it might work.

Back