How to: - removing front diff on a 95+ | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: removing front diff on a 95+

Prefix for threads which are instructional.
I figure that since I've done this twice (once to regear and once to install a locker) and figured out a faster [than the book] way to do this, that I should share my info. It took me about 1.5 hrs to drop and the same time to reinstall the second time.

1) Jack up passenger side; remove tire; remove center cap on tire; remount tire with two or three lug nuts; set back down and remove axle nut that is now accessible; (Its at 200+ ft/lbs so you need a good long breaker bar) jack up again; remove tire; set jack stand under A arm; remove brake caliper; remove shock; remove ABS wire from clips

SANY0001.jpg

2) Unhook front driveshaft

SANY0002.jpg

3) Start up engine and carefully turn wheels to the right to near full lock

SANY0003.jpg

4) mark alignment cams (on upper A arm bolts) with current rotation so that you don’t screw up your alignment when reinstalled; remove upper A arm bolts (note: in any book it will say to separate the upper A arm from the spindle but I could never get this joint apart on either side the first time I did this); spindle will now fall out allowing you to remove half axle from hub assembly (if it doesn't come out like shown it the picture, jack the truck up from the cross-member allowing the passenger A arm to droop more)

EDIT: Like it mentions later in this thread, it is easier to remove the upper ball joint, rather than the A-arm. You just need to remove the pinch bolt completely to get it loose, which I never tried. :eek:

SANY0004.jpg

SANY0005.jpg

SANY0006.jpg

5) using a pry-bar or large screwdriver between the axle housing and inner CV, being careful not to damage the seal, pry the two apart (you’ll feel it click and move ½”); remove half axle being careful not to damage bearings in housing (Warning: Gear oil will start leaking out this opening now)

6) pry driver side half axle just like passenger side; place jack under diff and remove three bolts holding diff; carefully lower diff while moving it to the passenger side until you’re able to remove driver side half axle from housing; as soon as breather tube is accessible remove it from housing

7) install locker, etc

SANY0008.jpg

SANY0009.jpg

SANY0011.jpg

Reinstall by reversing procedure

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

page 1&2 are excellent i have a ur 9/99 build v6 xlt with heaps of mods these two pages saved me heaps thankyou so much ave a goodday aussie foxy

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Replacing the r/f drive axel

I just followed the basic steps.
Had the r/h side axle changed in about an hr. Instead of putting the tire back on to loosen the axel nut, I also put it in 4x4 low, but had to start the engine to stop the axel from turning.
I removed the pinch bolt to drop the lower A arm and it worked like a charm.
$300 bucks.... thank you very much!

2001 ford sport trac

hello everyone just joined wondering if anyone has done a differential convertion i have a 2001 ford sport trac 410 ratio and want to put a solid differential in the front get rid of the cv joints any one have any thoughts thanks RICK

There's a whole section titled solid axle swaps, or SAS. Just search...

is there a method to the madness of getting those cv's apart like jefe did?
ive got one down to just the outer cup, stub shaft, and the internal splined shaft that goes into the cup that is normally covered by the boot. i removed the c clip and beat it like it owed me money and the splined shaft hasnt moved. anybody know any tricks, or is it just brute force and a vise?

I have never had the trouble you are describing. Once you loosen the axle nut (dont remove it all the way yet), remove the brakes and rotor, remove the upper balljoint cross bolt, and lay the steering knuckle down, the CV should come right out with a little coaxing :hammer: Once the stub is free, thats when you take the axle nut all the way off. (it will stop the end of the axle from getting bigger from the pounding) You have a gear puller or a big 3 jaw puller?

cv stub.jpg

this is the end result i am looking for.
pos mounty, i dont think you understood my post, or it is possible my post didnt make sense.

Oh, well, why didn't you say so? LMAO
OK, this I have done!
I used a 4 inch grinder to cut into the ring inside the cup. Kinda like a cage around the ballbearings. Get it in a vise. Once you cut it in 3 or 4 places, you can get all the ballbearings out, and it will fall apart after moving it around and twisting it. It took me around 1/2 hour a side.
Hope this helps

Oh, well, why didn't you say so? LMAO
OK, this I have done!
I used a 4 inch grinder to cut into the ring inside the cup. Kinda like a cage around the ballbearings. Get it in a vise. Once you cut it in 3 or 4 places, you can get all the ballbearings out, and it will fall apart after moving it around and twisting it. It took me around 1/2 hour a side.
Hope this helps

o'tay!, this is the info i was wanting. i didnt want to do all of that to find out there was a hidden c clip or something to make it all come apart lol. thanks...i can do this at work. looks like i will be able to drive agin this weekend......but only in 2wd:(

got the cv stubs cut off today. it took a lot less time than i thought. pretty messy though.

Great fourm !! Love the info. Im looking to replace my front differential on my 97 ford explorer. Does anybody have any idea were I can get the part for a pretty decent price?

OEM, New? FastPartsNetwork.com

Entire case? Just gears etc? Locker, or not? So many variables.

Back