• Register Today It's free!

Removing seats

redShift

Reaction score
City, State
Suwanee, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XLT
Once again, the Haynes manual has proven to be very vague so I come to you in search of the truth.

A few months ago, I parked in one of my friend's driveways that was set on a ridiculous incline. My X was leaning backwards a lot on the hill so I went to set the parking brake and the extra bit of force from gravity was the breaking point for some of the internal parts of the seat. Notably, the lumbar cushion popped and a support bar running horizontally at the same level as the top of the pocket on the back of seat was knocked out of whack, so now ...

instead of this seat |
/
I have this |

Its not that dramatic, but thats basically what happened. Now I cant have the posture I would like to have and am planning on switching the two front bucket seats for my comfort.

The instructions on taking out and replacing the seats make it seem like a very easy job of just loosening some bolts, but under both seats (I have power seats) there is a gray cable running from the floor up into the seat. This is what's giving me troubles.

Can someone tell me how to unhook this cable from the seats so I can take them out?

Also, is there an after market seat available with an extra long back support? Im 6'7" and the top of the seat comes to just below my shoulders so Im a little worried about what could happen to my neck in a collision. Thanks.

the seat diagrams should look like this:

|

/
|

I understood the seat diagrams the first time.

Ya know a lot of kids drive reclined by choice and they think it's cool ! :rolleyes:

The wire under the seat should have a very easy to use connector.

Un-do all the bolts so you gan get your head under the seat. Then is should just be a matter of pressing a " button " or spreading a clip. Take a tiny flat head screw driver with you.

I know I am pretty vague too but it has been a wile since I have had a Ford seat out. Hopefully I have the ball rolling though.

I was thinking it was going to be that simple

Back