• Register Today It's free!

repairing my power steering

LMHmedchem

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLT v8
Hello,

The power steering on my 2002 v8 XLT is shot. The system won't hold fluid at all. I think that there is a leak in one of the metal tubes that is welded to the rack, but I also think that the seals on the pump are gone. I have thought about removing the pump and replacing the seals but perhaps it makes more sense to replace the pump. Is replacing seals a reasonable option, the truck has ~150,000 miles on it.

If I am replacing the pump, I have looked at these parts, (Price, Core, Total),

CARDONE Reman Power Steering Pump 20290 ($37, $60, $97) w/o reservoir, w/o pulley
CARDONE Reman Power Steering Pump 20290P1 ($47, $60, $107) w/o reservoir, w/ pulley
MOTORCRAFT Reman Power Steering Pump STP71RM ($143, $75, $218) ?? reservoir, ?? pulley

I tend to use the Motocraft parts when I do the work myself, but at more than triple the price I am not sure it is worth it. Can anyone recommend a pump that they know from experience to be a quality part? I would like a part with the pulley attached so I don't have to unpress/press the old one. I would also like one with a new reservoir already attached, but I don't see any of those, or a new reservoir sold separately.

Is there anything else I will need, such as hoses, clamps, etc?
Do I replace the little heater core radiator?
What is the best replacement power steering fluid to use?

I have looked at this video,

How to Replace a Power Steering Pump Ford Explorer 2002-2005 V8 4.6L

Are there any special tools I will need (if I am not removing the old pulley).

I am hoping that when I get in there with the tire removed I will be able to get a better look at the rack to see if it needs to be replaced. I am not sure that replacing the rack is something I can do in my driveway (without a lift).

Can anyone comment on this?

LMHmedchem

A1Cardone is a good reman parts source. Get with the pulley on! It's a pain in the butt that isn't worth time or hassle. The cars have remote reservoirs so that actually makes dealing with the pump easier.

You apparently have had better luck with Cardone than I have. Even had a pump DOA. I only use them now if the only option. My local supplier last time ordered more than one pump and tested them in house before selling me the one that worked.

Back