Replace 2004 XLT Premium stereo with 2004 Adrenalin stereo? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Replace 2004 XLT Premium stereo with 2004 Adrenalin stereo?

celticchrys

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
Hello all. I have a 2004 XLT Premium Sport Trac. It came with a stereo like this one in it:
2004CD6Front.png

This is the type of wiring harness/plug that came built into the truck:
IMG_20110620_171922.png

You can see the ports on the back of this original stereo here:
2004CD6Rear.png

I have a stereo from a 2004 Adrenalin sport track that I would like to install in place of the one above. This is what it looks like:
IMG_20110620_173027.png

I can find almost zero information out there on this stereo. This is the info on top of it:
IMG_20110620_173046.png

The problem is that I do not have the Adrenalin wiring harness with the plugs that go into the back of this second stereo. I also so far, can't find the proper plugs anywhere online either. They do NOT match the ones built into my vehicle. This is what they look like. Here is the port on the left rear corner of the stereo:
IMG_20110620_172936.png

and this is the port on the right rear corner of the stereo:
IMG_20110620_173010.png

Anyone with an idea where to get the cable to plug into the back of the Adrenalin stereo itself? I'd really appreciate any help. I've been scouring the web, and so far I can't find anything similar.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

it's made by pioneer, send them an Email and ask them

The adrenalin radio requires an additional external amplifier, it only has pre-outs. It is not just a plug and play even if you find an adapter. Without the amp, you will hear no sound from the speakers.

The adrenalin radio has a totally different harness too it. Just liek it was stated you need the factory amp that goes with it. I have one have been thinking of selling it. PM me and let me know. Good luck with wiring it up. You can probably do it if you have the time to figure the wiring out.

Doesn't the premium system I already have have an amplifier with it as well? It has a factory sub.

Ah, well. Thanks for the replies, everyone. Guess it's time to go shopping for other options.

I would say the amp is different, but Im not 100% sure. I know the sub in the adrenaline is located under the back seat and yours is located behind the seat. The amp in the adrenalin is located where you sub is. So I dont know if it is different or what.

Hapazard04: thanks for the info. It's good to have a better idea about the differences.

I have a new question for the group. If I buy a new aftermarket Head Unit, what wiring harness should I buy to use with it? I've searched on crutchfield.com and on scosche's web site, and I when I put in the vehicle info, I get no results that look like they would work with the plugs in my truck.

This is the photo that shows the plugs built into the truck:

IMG_20110620_171922.png

Nevermind, I think I just found it. It looks like the Metra 70-5521 harness should work! Nice to find a vendor who has noticed that this vehicle came with more than one model of stereo, and has gear for the audiophile system version.

http://www.metraonline.com/part/70-5521

Just posting this link in case it might help out someone else later.

Back