How to: - Replace Front Blend Door Actuator in 3rd Gen Ex. | Page 20 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: Replace Front Blend Door Actuator in 3rd Gen Ex.

Prefix for threads which are instructional.
You are welcome. Glad I could help:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Nice job on the fix. :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I didnt have to remove right console just left 1. And I didnt have to cut the dash neither.
But thats why I got my hands all messed up trying to get it into the place hehe.

Nice pictures and thank you for the great explanation on how to. :)

I didnt have to remove right console just left 1. And I didnt have to cut the dash neither.
But thats why I got my hands all messed up trying to get it into the place hehe.

Nice pictures and thank you for the great explanation on how to. :)

You're welcome.

Nice job on the fix. :D:thumbsup:

did mine over the weekend, no need to remove radio bezel and i got a lifetime warranty part at O'Reilly's for $50 wasn't that hard once i knew where every little hidden screw/bolt was just take your time at it and you'll be ok, good write up and how-to though helped me out some

did mine over the weekend, no need to remove radio bezel and i got a lifetime warranty part at O'Reilly's for $50 wasn't that hard once i knew where every little hidden screw/bolt was just take your time at it and you'll be ok, good write up and how-to though helped me out some

Glad to help!! :D:thumbsup:

I think those are for the rear. I am speaking about the RH side (I have dual-climate). I get code B2267 (blend door short). I poked my head in and it looks like the RH actuator is in the same spot as the LH one.

Could you find anything on the RH one> I've done an exhaustive search all over and have turned up nothing. I will dive into this project soon (winter is coming)...

Thanks so much BigRondo, just completed mine and saved me about 800.00usd. Got the part from O'Rlieys for 45.00usd. Same problem with "broken teeth". I did not however need to make the cut, like others have stated. I was able to reach the screw with removing the bezel around the radio, ac/heat, info, 4x4 counsel. It took me 3 hours 5 minutes, with a trip to Autozone to get the 8mm Ratchet Wrench (highly recommended over an open ended wrench. I have zero experience with repairs, I have never even changed my oil. You're directions were spot on and extremely helpful. I was unable to put the top screw back in, so the actuator is in with the two screws, do you think that I will be a problem?
Thanks again, I will try the temperature sensor next, and of course use your writeup on it. Good luck to everyone who attempts this in the future, with patience and you WILL succeed.

I think those are for the rear. I am speaking about the RH side (I have dual-climate). I get code B2267 (blend door short). I poked my head in and it looks like the RH actuator is in the same spot as the LH one.

Could you find anything on the RH one> I've done an exhaustive search all over and have turned up nothing. I will dive into this project soon (winter is coming)...

I have the shop manuals for the '02 Explorer. I assume it's the same as the Mounty. I will check it out and report back what I find.

Thanks so much BigRondo, just completed mine and saved me about 800.00usd. Got the part from O'Rlieys for 45.00usd. Same problem with "broken teeth". I did not however need to make the cut, like others have stated. I was able to reach the screw with removing the bezel around the radio, ac/heat, info, 4x4 counsel. It took me 3 hours 5 minutes, with a trip to Autozone to get the 8mm Ratchet Wrench (highly recommended over an open ended wrench. I have zero experience with repairs, I have never even changed my oil. You're directions were spot on and extremely helpful. I was unable to put the top screw back in, so the actuator is in with the two screws, do you think that I will be a problem?
Thanks again, I will try the temperature sensor next, and of course use your writeup on it. Good luck to everyone who attempts this in the future, with patience and you WILL succeed.

Nicely done. :D:thumbsup: Glad I could help out. I would recommend putting the top screw back in. I don't know if it will have any adverse effects or not. Here is how I got the top screw in, this is from the write-up:

7.i. Install top screw – 8MM socket & 6” extension required

7iInstalltopscrew.jpg

7.j. Tape screw to socket

7jTapescrew.jpg

7.k. Start threading screw

7kStartthreadingscrew.jpg

7.l. Pull extension out

7lPullextout.jpg

7.m. Reach up and remove socket - Arrows indicate where to reach up to remove socket from screw

7mReachupremovesocket.jpg

7.n. Remove tape and replace socket

7nRemovetapereplacesocket.jpg

7.o. Tighten top screw – DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN

7oTightentopscrew.jpg

Good luck.

Fixed

Hello all,

I just wanted to say thank you, I follow the steps and everything went great, I only cut a little bit of the dash but it made it a little harder to put the part in but once in every thing turned out great. Took about 2 hours and only costed 53 dollars.

Thank you sooooo much

Hello all,

I just wanted to say thank you, I follow the steps and everything went great, I only cut a little bit of the dash but it made it a little harder to put the part in but once in every thing turned out great. Took about 2 hours and only costed 53 dollars.

Thank you sooooo much

You are welcome. Glad I could help out.

Nice job sorting it!! :biggthump

I just did this repair over the weekend, 3 1/2 hours, went really well, thought it would cover 2 days, checked the pictures for reference half way through.

Thanks and a great write up!

Rob

I just did this repair over the weekend, 3 1/2 hours, went really well, thought it would cover 2 days, checked the pictures for reference half way through.

Thanks and a great write up!

Rob

Welcome aboard Rob!! :salute:

You're welcome.

Nice job on the fix. :):thumbsup:

Big Rondo-Thanks for the write up on how to do this. My acutator went toes-up on my Explorer yesterday. I have ordered the part and it should be here by the weekend so I can get it replaced. Glad I have access to a garage-I would truely hate to have to do this outside-the weather guessers all say another snow storm is due this weekend!

I showed your write-up to my son the mechanic and his comment was "Nice-wish my shop manuals were this detailed!" :thumbsup:

You're welcome. Glad I could help out. :):thumbsup:

The attention to detail comes from my years in the Corps. :salute:

That was a great repair segment.You ought to work for Chilton or Mitchell! Thank you

Just wanted to thank you for a great " How To Do It" presentation. I took my laptop out with me and followed your instructions and was able to complete the swap in just a couple of hours. The photographs and the recommendation on the racheting 8mm wrench were especially helpful, now I have heat to get me through another central New York winter. Thanks again.

Just wanted to thank you for a great " How To Do It" presentation. I took my laptop out with me and followed your instructions and was able to complete the swap in just a couple of hours. The photographs and the recommendation on the racheting 8mm wrench were especially helpful, now I have heat to get me through another central New York winter. Thanks again.

Nice job on the fix! :biggthump Glad I could help out. ;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just replaced the blend door actuator on my '05' explorer. I was not looking forward to the 6 to 7 hour dash removal that ford told me I had to do. I want to thank you for all the pics and easy steps. Also thanks for your service. My father and nephew are Marines. Semper fi.

Back