How to: - Replace Front Blend Door Actuator in 3rd Gen Ex. | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: Replace Front Blend Door Actuator in 3rd Gen Ex.

Prefix for threads which are instructional.
hi everyone, new to the forum..Big rondo, this seems like the problem i'm having with my 03 XLT explorer.. There is clicking but only cold air coming out. So it seems like like this is the blend door actuator right? How do i know if its not the blend door? or is there no difference? Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Automatic AC

Has anybody with Automatic Climate Control done this fix?
My wife's '03 Mountaineer is not blowing heat, but I don't know if there has ever been a clicking sound (or if there would be one with the Auto Climate Control).

I am looking forward to putting this great write up to use, just hoping this will solve the problem.

There is also the sound of fluid moving in the dash during start up. (more so this past summer, but we can still here it just not as frequently).

OK, an update. I drove my wife's Mountaineer into work this morning to do a further assessment. The heater does blow heat, but at idle it blows cold air. I drive about 15 miles highway into work. Once the car warmed up it blew fine as usual. Upon exiting the highway and coming to a stop light it blew cold at idle. Once I started moving again it warmed up and then back cold at the next stop light, etc. until I got to work. Once I parked at work I tried changing the setting from automatic to manual mode and it still blew cold air at idle.

My only thought would be that at idle the blend door is closing all the way whereas it should only partially close.

I do not hear any clicking sounds from the door actuator. But I am thinking that maybe one tooth in the gear is off allowing the door to close all the way at idle even though it shouldn't.

Anyone else experience this?
Should I replace the actuator?
Is the actuator for the manual climate control models the same as the one for the automatic climate control models?
Am I the first to run into this issue with the automatic climate control models (I hope not)?

I have the exact same issue, 2002 Explorer, I do not have automatic controls, just the manual. Unfortunately, I don't know the fix, I am looking for it too, it helps to know I am not the only one with this

I know it's been said a hundred times but thanks for the great instructions BigRondo, they made the job a sinch, easily done in less than 2 hours.
I was concerned that my blend door might be bad as well but I found that by removing the actuator shaft form the old actuator and inserting it into the blend door and moving it around by hand I was able to ***** the condition of the door easily.

Glad you got it fixed! :biggthump

hi everyone, new to the forum..Big rondo, this seems like the problem i'm having with my 03 XLT explorer.. There is clicking but only cold air coming out. So it seems like like this is the blend door actuator right? How do i know if its not the blend door? or is there no difference? Thanks!

damion, sorry for the delay in replying. I can't say for sure if it is your blend door or the actuator. I know that mine was making the clicking noise and after doing some research on the forum, I figured it had to be the actuator. I hope you get your issue resolved. :salute:

Has anybody with Automatic Climate Control done this fix?
My wife's '03 Mountaineer is not blowing heat, but I don't know if there has ever been a clicking sound (or if there would be one with the Auto Climate Control).

I am looking forward to putting this great write up to use, just hoping this will solve the problem.

There is also the sound of fluid moving in the dash during start up. (more so this past summer, but we can still here it just not as frequently).

OK, an update. I drove my wife's Mountaineer into work this morning to do a further assessment. The heater does blow heat, but at idle it blows cold air. I drive about 15 miles highway into work. Once the car warmed up it blew fine as usual. Upon exiting the highway and coming to a stop light it blew cold at idle. Once I started moving again it warmed up and then back cold at the next stop light, etc. until I got to work. Once I parked at work I tried changing the setting from automatic to manual mode and it still blew cold air at idle.

My only thought would be that at idle the blend door is closing all the way whereas it should only partially close.

I do not hear any clicking sounds from the door actuator. But I am thinking that maybe one tooth in the gear is off allowing the door to close all the way at idle even though it shouldn't.

Anyone else experience this?
Should I replace the actuator?
Is the actuator for the manual climate control models the same as the one for the automatic climate control models?
Am I the first to run into this issue with the automatic climate control models (I hope not)?

bl^5, I really don't know that much about the auto climate control as I have the manual climate control. I know that the clicking noise is associated with the actuator.

Since your heat/cold appears to be related to engine speed, I'm thinking that you may have have a vacuum leak. Try testing the heat with the vehicle warmed up and in park. See if the temp of the airflow changes with the rpm's of the engine? :dunno:

As far as the water sloshing around, your A/C drain line may be clogged? :dunno:

You might want to do a search for your issues and if you can't find what you are looking for then start a new thread and see if those with more knowledge than me chime in. In any event, i hope you get it fixed.

I have the exact same issue, 2002 Explorer, I do not have automatic controls, just the manual. Unfortunately, I don't know the fix, I am looking for it too, it helps to know I am not the only one with this

Todd, I assume you are talking about the temp changing with engine speed. If so, see my previous post.

great write up . . . few thoughts

I am new to the X forum but I have a few sticky notes that I have uncovered. You might already know this but if it help anyone then I have returned the favor from all the help I have received. First, not the fix but, I have a Gen II x and my neighbor has a Gen III so the blend door on the gen two goes side to side verses the Gen III is up and down. This action of having to fight gravity of the door opening on the Gen III is the reason for the failure. This being said there are (my guess) thousands of gen II blend door actuators that are in junk yards that work. I don't know if they are an exact swap but I do know that all you have to do is replace the gear that meets the motor. My neighbor and I did just that, I have the Gen II tore apart due to an electrical meltdown. We popped the actuator apart and just swapped gears. As you have probably read you might not need to cut your dash. But the cost of the 8 mm ratchet wrench is worth it for this gob, just my thoughts. I know this is running long but to all you that might be looking at this repair in the future call up the junkyard and do some dissection.

Look at it this way we are just doing our part towards going green :)
:usa:

Thanks BigRondo, I will give it a try. I found a vacuum leak earlier this year, the A/C would alternate between the vents and defrost, found a vacuum line by the firewall unplugged. Maybe there is another one off somewhere. Thanks for the input

Just did this fix over the weekend......very easy with the excellent instructions. Thanks BigRondo!

For the record, my 2002 Ex / XLT / 4.6 / "manual" AC with a production date of 07/02 used the 604209 part #. I couldn't find a Dorman replacement in stock anywhere local but luckily found the Motocraft part with the same #..... $57. Awesome.

BTW, I was able to use a simple 8mm Craftsman open end wrench to get at the tougher screw and did not have to cut anything. The screws have a course, self-tapping type thread so the come out relatively quickly.
Regarding actuator removal; at first it seems as if it's too large to come out but after playing with it for a couple minutes it does slip out.

I am new to the X forum but I have a few sticky notes that I have uncovered. You might already know this but if it help anyone then I have returned the favor from all the help I have received. First, not the fix but, I have a Gen II x and my neighbor has a Gen III so the blend door on the gen two goes side to side verses the Gen III is up and down. This action of having to fight gravity of the door opening on the Gen III is the reason for the failure. This being said there are (my guess) thousands of gen II blend door actuators that are in junk yards that work. I don't know if they are an exact swap but I do know that all you have to do is replace the gear that meets the motor. My neighbor and I did just that, I have the Gen II tore apart due to an electrical meltdown. We popped the actuator apart and just swapped gears. As you have probably read you might not need to cut your dash. But the cost of the 8 mm ratchet wrench is worth it for this gob, just my thoughts. I know this is running long but to all you that might be looking at this repair in the future call up the junkyard and do some dissection.

Look at it this way we are just doing our part towards going green :)
:usa:

Great idea!! Old fashioned American ingenuity. :salute:

Thanks BigRondo, I will give it a try. I found a vacuum leak earlier this year, the A/C would alternate between the vents and defrost, found a vacuum line by the firewall unplugged. Maybe there is another one off somewhere. Thanks for the input

Good luck, keep us posted. :D

Just did this fix over the weekend......very easy with the excellent instructions. Thanks BigRondo!

For the record, my 2002 Ex / XLT / 4.6 / "manual" AC with a production date of 07/02 used the 604209 part #. I couldn't find a Dorman replacement in stock anywhere local but luckily found the Motocraft part with the same #..... $57. Awesome.

BTW, I was able to use a simple 8mm Craftsman open end wrench to get at the tougher screw and did not have to cut anything. The screws have a course, self-tapping type thread so the come out relatively quickly.
Regarding actuator removal; at first it seems as if it's too large to come out but after playing with it for a couple minutes it does slip out.

Good deal. Glad to help out! :cool:

Big Rondo,

First, thanks for the detailed writeup. I was able to get the old actuator out without any real problems. The only thing I am dealing with now is that the new actuator shaft does not rotate when its plugged in. You say in your writeup that this should occur. Any thoughts as to why this is not happening. I opened up my old actuator and did notice that I had about 5 gears sheared off. When I tried to put my old actuator back in, it did not click or rotate either. Any chance I just got a defective new actuator? Is there a fuse or relay I may have blown? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Brandon

Big Rondo,

First, thanks for the detailed writeup. I was able to get the old actuator out without any real problems. The only thing I am dealing with now is that the new actuator shaft does not rotate when its plugged in. You say in your writeup that this should occur. Any thoughts as to why this is not happening. I opened up my old actuator and did notice that I had about 5 gears sheared off. When I tried to put my old actuator back in, it did not click or rotate either. Any chance I just got a defective new actuator? Is there a fuse or relay I may have blown? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Brandon

Brandon, Instructions for testing the new actuator are as follows:

7.b. Turn ignition key to run position

7.c. Rotate temp selector from cold to hot to verify operation of actuator – shaft should be moving

7.d. Rotate temp from hot to cold setting – shaft should be moving – leave temp set to cold

7.e. Turn ignition key to off and remove key - LEAVE TEMP SET TO COLD

I have to ask the obvious question first: did you turn the ignition key to the run position before you turned the temp selector?

I noticed your avatar says you have a 1995. This write up is for the 3rd Gen, 2002 - 2005. If you are working on a 3rd Gen then check out the fuse panel:

#10 is a 10 mini fuse for the temp blend actuator:

Dead Link Removed

Dead Link Removed

If you don't have an owner's manual, Dead Link Removed.

Hope this helps out. :biggthump

Big Rondo,

Thanks for the help. I went ahead and installed it and it seems to be working. the only thing that is kinda jacked up is that every once and a while I will get a thump when switching from hot to cold and vice versa. I forgot to change my vehicle, I upgraded to a 2002 explorer a while back. Thanks again for all of your help. This forum is such a great tool for those working on their own vehicles.

Brandon

Awesome Tread

this thread was what got me hooked to this site. it helped me save about $1000 in repair bills. i did get frustrated when i put the new actuator in and i wasnt getting any heat. just incase anyone else had this problem. my manual control nobs ALSO went bad and had to be replaced. a few hundred from the dealer or $20 from the junk yard. i had it put in before i left the parking lot. instant hot to cold. thanks for the help, and i hope my input helps someone out.

Big Rondo,

Thanks for the help. I went ahead and installed it and it seems to be working. the only thing that is kinda jacked up is that every once and a while I will get a thump when switching from hot to cold and vice versa. I forgot to change my vehicle, I upgraded to a 2002 explorer a while back. Thanks again for all of your help. This forum is such a great tool for those working on their own vehicles.

Brandon

No problem. Every now and then I hear a thump too. I thinks it's just the blend door closing. :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

this thread was what got me hooked to this site. it helped me save about $1000 in repair bills. i did get frustrated when i put the new actuator in and i wasnt getting any heat. just incase anyone else had this problem. my manual control nobs ALSO went bad and had to be replaced. a few hundred from the dealer or $20 from the junk yard. i had it put in before i left the parking lot. instant hot to cold. thanks for the help, and i hope my input helps someone out.

Welcome to the forum. :salute:

Thanks for the info. Enjoy the heat. :fire:

Back