Replace headlight bulbs with LEDs on 2014 PIU? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Replace headlight bulbs with LEDs on 2014 PIU?

Howdy,

Has anybody replaced their Explorer/PIU's headlight bulbs (9005) with LEDs? How did that go? Better or worse than with halogens? Do they flicker, did you need an anti-flicker capacitor? Are they positioned correctly, not too high or too low?

If you've done it successfully, which LED bulbs did you use?

How're the fans working? Are they too loud? Has anyone had a fan fail relatively quickly?

Or should I just stick to proper and expensive halogens?

Thanks!

I installed the Hikari Ultra 2 LEDs from Amazon and they are MUCH better than halogen. These lights can be a bit addicting much like stereo equipment, where you are always looking for just a bit more. Bulb Facts and Headlight Revolution are great resources. I do think I may spring for the GTR Lighting Ultra 2.0 next as I have read that they are just stellar but very expensive. Just do your research as not every bulb works great in both reflector and projector applications.

Headlights:

Fogs / Driving Lights:

I installed the Hikari Ultra 2 LEDs from Amazon and they are MUCH better than halogen. These lights can be a bit addicting much like stereo equipment, where you are always looking for just a bit more. Bulb Facts and Headlight Revolution are great resources. I do think I may spring for the GTR Lighting Ultra 2.0 next as I have read that they are just stellar but very expensive. Just do your research as not every bulb works great in both reflector and projector applications.

Headlights:

Fogs / Driving Lights:
You are so right about it being like stereo equipment!

Back