Replace Oxygen Sensors for better mileage? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Replace Oxygen Sensors for better mileage?

torinoscj429

Reaction score
City, State
San Diego
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Mountaineer V8 2WD
Hi All!

As my 2000 Mounty 5.0 2WD passes 150,000 miles, I'm wondering if new oxygen sensors would improve my gas mileage. No codes right now, just sensors with a lot of miles.

Has anyone replaced all 4 sensors just because of high miles? If so, did your fuel economy improve?

If I do all 4, I'll want to do it as economically as possible. I'm an old-school ASE certified mechanic, so I can do everything myself. Any suggestions as to a good source for these sensors?

Thanks,

Gerard
San Diego

http://bob2000.com/mounty.html

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Anywhere for stock application. Local.

Surprisingly, yes, it makes a huge difference in the mileage- provided you are careful and not a lead foot with your driving! I just did mine, and I gained 2-3 mpgs.

The ones that control the gas are the pre-cat ones. The ones post cat are just measuring the cat efficiency.
I replaced on my other cars the pre-cat O2 sensors (with Bosch ones from Amazon) when I had CEL on and they did improve a little the gas mileage and engine "roundness" at idle.
The two pre-cat sensors are some 100$ for my Explorer (Amazon, Motorcraft). How much will improve gas mileage and how long will take to cover that 100$... don't know.

Last edited:

This is pertinent to my interests :D
I've been replacing components that I know are old and tired; that have never been replaced or serviced on the vehicle.
O2 sensors are on the bucket list. It appears the old ones have never been changed and have 130K miles. As yet there is no CEL but graphs appear erratic and I am working on mileage.

Is there any difference in makes of O2 sensors such as Bosch and MotorCraft?

I tend toward OEM emission parts though I am open to more durable longer lasting parts if they are out there.

The Bosch that I put in a Sonata have 50k miles. I just put another Bosch in a Sable and worked great.
I would think the Motorcraft are all right too (even if they don't make them themselfs, at least have the right cable lenghts). Especially when they are not too expensive compared with other "brands" - that is the parts for the Explorer.

Back