1. Tip...
    If you hold most smartphones sideways
    you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Replace Oxygen Sensors for better mileage?

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by torinoscj429, June 23, 2011.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. torinoscj429

torinoscj429 Member

City, State:
    San Diego
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2000 Mountaineer V8 2WD
    Hi All!

As my 2000 Mounty 5.0 2WD passes 150,000 miles, I'm wondering if new oxygen sensors would improve my gas mileage. No codes right now, just sensors with a lot of miles.

Has anyone replaced all 4 sensors just because of high miles? If so, did your fuel economy improve?

If I do all 4, I'll want to do it as economically as possible. I'm an old-school ASE certified mechanic, so I can do everything myself. Any suggestions as to a good source for these sensors?

Thanks,

Gerard
    San Diego

http://bob2000.com/mounty.html

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. storlied

storlied Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Anchorage, Alaska
    98 5.0L V8 AWD XLT
    Anywhere for stock application. Local.

4. Liska

Liska New Member

City, State:
    Western massachusetts
    2003 XLT
    Surprisingly, yes, it makes a huge difference in the mileage- provided you are careful and not a lead foot with your driving! I just did mine, and I gained 2-3 mpgs.

5. SoNic67

SoNic67 Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Newport News, VA
    2001 V8 (Eddie Bauer) AWD
    The ones that control the gas are the pre-cat ones. The ones post cat are just measuring the cat efficiency.
    I replaced on my other cars the pre-cat O2 sensors (with Bosch ones from Amazon) when I had CEL on and they did improve a little the gas mileage and engine "roundness" at idle.
    The two pre-cat sensors are some 100$ for my Explorer (Amazon, Motorcraft). How much will improve gas mileage and how long will take to cover that 100$... don't know.

Last edited: June 23, 2011
  6. fixt

fixt Active Member

City, State:
    North Carolina
    1996 5.0L XLT AWD
    This is pertinent to my interests :D
    I've been replacing components that I know are old and tired; that have never been replaced or serviced on the vehicle.
    O2 sensors are on the bucket list. It appears the old ones have never been changed and have 130K miles. As yet there is no CEL but graphs appear erratic and I am working on mileage.

Is there any difference in makes of O2 sensors such as Bosch and MotorCraft?

I tend toward OEM emission parts though I am open to more durable longer lasting parts if they are out there.

7. SoNic67

SoNic67 Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Newport News, VA
    2001 V8 (Eddie Bauer) AWD
    The Bosch that I put in a Sonata have 50k miles. I just put another Bosch in a Sable and worked great.
    I would think the Motorcraft are all right too (even if they don't make them themselfs, at least have the right cable lenghts). Especially when they are not too expensive compared with other "brands" - that is the parts for the Explorer.

We Support Our Troops!