Replace steel tranny cooler line w/ reinforced hose? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Replace steel tranny cooler line w/ reinforced hose?

smitch1984

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 XLT, 143000 m
I have a 2000 XLT w/ 4.0 OHV and the 5R55E tranny. To make it easier for a project I have in mind (adding an external fluid filter) I was considering replacing the stock steel tranny coolant line from the rad to the tranny with a reinforced tranny coolant hose. Would this be a bad idea for any reason I cant think of right now?

Welcome to the forums. I wouldnt bother unless you had a leak or planned on doing some serious off-roading.

We were going to do that when we put in the 700r4 but decided against it.. The rubber line isn't very self supporting which meant we would have one heck of a time keeping it held up out of the way of sharp/hot things. We kept the steel from the trans to about the front of the engine. At that point it is switched to rubber.

We slipped the rubber over the smooth cut trans line and tripple clamped it. It didn't leak for about a year. Now the lines are somewhat hard and are seeping. I'm working on either flaring or using a compression fitting at the junction.

~Mark

Back