Replaced Shocks, sits higher now?!?! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Replaced Shocks, sits higher now?!?!

jezriak

Reaction score
City, State
Mt. Clemens, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 4dr XLT 4.0 SOHC
Hey guys, first post! I've searched all over and don't seem to find anything similar. I had my buddy replace the lower ball joints, upper control arms, and all 4 new Monroe Sensatrack shocks.

Body roll is waaaay reduced, which I really like. Lots more control. Ride is harsher than I thought it would be though. I'll try playing with the tire pressure.

My big problem is the front now sits a good 2" higher now than it used to! Lots of open space in there and it looks stupid. Way too much clearance, something can't be right. The rear is up maybe an inch. Granted, the other ones were worn out and all, but this just doesn't look right. There's more clearance than I see on other similar X's. Is there some sort of adjustment that may have been missed? Crank down more on the torsion rods? Could they have sold me the wrong model shocks for something bigger? Anybody else have this problem?

Thanks!
==================
1997 4.0 SOHC 4x4 XLT

It is more likely the control arms that are making sit higher IMO. I had mine replaced now it sits a good inch higher. Give them some time to settle and then see if it is still too high.

Shocks do not affect the lift in anyway and certainly not 2".

It might be possible that since you replaced the upper controll arms that the bushings were worn out an caused it to sit lower as the new ones are tighter.

Did you have a shop align it afterward? It's possible they tightend the torsion bar bolts to get the alignment in spec. Give a few days and I bet it will setle back down.

What tires are you running? These are still trucks with basic suspension setups, they'll never drive smooth, you'll always feel any bumps or anything (smooth truck would be a Denali or Lade with factory MRC suspension lol). But tires have a huge effect on our trucks, some tires run harsh and others run soft. I just switched out the Wrangler RT/S tires, they were horrible both in ride quality and in wet weather.

Back