Replaced the stock Sony speakers | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Replaced the stock Sony speakers

Aggie, X2 on the Sony System. I came from a 2014 Taurus with SONY. Same observation the system itself is pretty decent but speakers are definitely the weak link. I suspect the same issue with the Explorer. Where did you get the Adapter brackets to fit the 6.5"? I will hold the Pioneers for now and looks like for the most part the removal replacement procedure will be the same as the Taurus.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

For my birthday I decided to treat myself to new speakers in the Explorer. I have the Sony system, and decided that while it is nice, it doesn't truly excel the way I want it to. For the fronts I installed JBL GT7-96, which are 6x9" 3 way speakers. For the rear doors, I installed Infinity Primus PR6502is 6.5" 2 ways.

What I will say is that I was actually impressed with the Sony speakers that I pulled out (comparison pics below). They weren't made of paper, actual poly substance, and they had a nice weighted magnet. Certainly the best OEM speakers I have seen. The fronts were pretty close to drop it. However the rear speakers were not, and had to find an adapter to make them fit the spacer that Crutchfield sent.

Also, while I had the doors apart, I put a Dynamat-type noise insulation called Roadkill in the doors (the shiny silver parts). Best money I spent on the whole upgrade, will certainly do that to any car I own in the future. Not only does it help with the speaker sound, but it really does make a noticeable difference in the road noise coming through the doors.

As for the result, they make a huge difference. The tonal quality of the music is so much clearer and crisper. The stock amp actually does a good job. The old setup if I got past 50% volume, I could tell the speakers were really not giving much more. With these speakers, even at 80%+ they sound like they are ready for more.

Attached are some pictures from the project.

I just replaced my door speakers as you did in my 2017 Explorer Sport. The rear 6 1/2s are JBL GTOs and they sound fantastic. The front 6x9s are also JBLs and they are equally impressive. There’s one problem, the tweeter on the 6x9 is putting out a small white noise when the stereo volume is turned all the way down. It’s just enough to annoy me when I’m driving and have the radio off.

I’m wondering if you have the same issue with your front 6x9 replacements. I’m guessing this has something to do with the fact that the factory 6x9 is a one-way speaker and adding a two-way aftermarket is putting out a frequency you wouldn’t normally hear?

Anyone had this issue?

I just replaced my door speakers as you did in my 2017 Explorer Sport. The rear 6 1/2s are JBL GTOs and they sound fantastic. The front 6x9s are also JBLs and they are equally impressive. There’s one problem, the tweeter on the 6x9 is putting out a small white noise when the stereo volume is turned all the way down. It’s just enough to annoy me when I’m driving and have the radio off.

I’m wondering if you have the same issue with your front 6x9 replacements. I’m guessing this has something to do with the fact that the factory 6x9 is a one-way speaker and adding a two-way aftermarket is putting out a frequency you wouldn’t normally hear?

Anyone had this issue?
I have a 2018 explorer xlt with sport appearance package. I didnt have any noticeable noise, but I don't have the higher end system ,that I think you have. You might have noise cancellation on that system. One thing i did notice, is the speakers in front door with adapters hit the back of the door panel. I think the 2018 door panel is slightly different. I had to make my own thinner adapters.

Welcome to the Forum NYANIK.:wave:

Peter

I am wondering if the speakers are common across the line, or if the optional Clear Phase/Live Acoustics system would have different speakers? Reading the Sony (not Ford) information on the system design, I am inclined to think there may be variations. Anyone know?

Anymore information on this would be greatly appreciated. I have a 2017 X Sport and front passenger speaker is blown or on its way out. I have appt with dealership to try and get replaced. My questions is if they don't.. Crutchfield isn't showing any replacements do to Climate Control wiring running through speakers?? What are our options. Would like to upgrade if another speakers goes out after warranty... Thanks for the help!

Here is just one of several threads I found with the 'Search' feature on Audio Upgrades; Pics of my audio upgrade

Peter

Peter, Thanks, I have been through a ton of the post but this one is the closest I have found in to replacing the front speakers on a 17 with Sony and I am worried about the frequency as NYANIK has stated. Just Odd since Crutchfield isn't recommending any speakers.

I'd like to replace my door speakers in my 16 sport. Any updates on where to get adapters?

Also, since the front door JBLs are 3 ways (with its own tweeter), do you leave the factory tweeter still working or does that get disconnected?

Been a while since I did this, I drilled new holes to account for not having a proper adapter.

Thanks, do you remember if the factory tweeter higher up in the door stays active after you installed the front speakers, or do you just get tweets from the new replacement speakers? Be nice if both were active.

Back