Muxlow

Reaction score
City, State
Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Ford PI Utility
Callsign
VA3YFU
Looking to upgrade the stock speakers in my 2013 PIU.
Rather then removing the door and all that jazz.. What is a good speaker to replace the stock with as an upgrade?

There is 1 in each door plus 2 tweeters in the front doors

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looking to upgrade the stock speakers in my 2013 PIU.
Rather then removing the door and all that jazz.. What is a good speaker to replace the stock with as an upgrade?

There is 1 in each door plus 2 tweeters in the front doors
I don't there is any way to replace the door speakers without removing the door panels. There are several threads about speaker and audio upgrades. Here is just one I found with the 'Search' feature; http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/explorer-audio-upgrade-s.348974/

Peter

I know the door panel has to be removed. I'm saying to save me from taking it off to get a speaker model and all that. Curious if anyone has taken theirs off and have a suitable replacement brand and size. And also if they are the same size as the civilian model explorers or if for whatever reason they are a special size for the PIU :)

FWIW the speakers on the new fords are 2 ohms, not 4 like most aftermarket applications, so the sound output with and aftermarket will be lower in volume than the stock ones Additionally each door speaker has a specially engineered support and air tight seal to raise it from the door surface and provide more air volume depth so it radiates sound more efficiently, it is NOT removable from the speaker itself. Thus making any replacement not worth the effort unless you go ALL custom and spend lots of time dealing with acoustic engineering and amplifiers.
Good luck!

Lots of components see two ohm loads. Any component will work, and almost any will provide better sound than stock. As for the air tightness, and surrounds, simply add a set of spacer rings and baffles. Hardly any engineering required.

Well there you go, finally an expert pops in and saves the day. :bow:

What about my advice, exactly, was incorrect?

PIU speakers are no different than the base model explorers. There are inexpensive adapters available that let you bolt any standard 6x9 into your doors. Pretty much any aftermarket speaker will be an improvement over the stock PIU stuff. IMO, it's not worth replacing the stock tweeters. You can use 2-way or 3-way speakers with or without the stock tweeters

Speaker mounting bracket:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IIC1BMI/?tag=serious-20

Wiring pigtail:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016YIFQ7I/?tag=serious-20

I just do my own singing in the car, so the speakers are not an issue. My rendition of "Nessun Dorma" right after a few cups of coffee will change your life.

Also, is that dual 40 amp power feeds to the back of the cabin a real thing for PIUs?

I replaced the front door speakers with the ones on crutchfield that were made for the ford 6x9 with oem connectors. The back door i used a pair of Alpine 6 1/2” i had in garage. I replaced the center with a 2 1/2” i bought from a member here. You have to purchase in pairs and he had extra one. The 2 in the rear are 2 1/2” just like the center, but have to remove most of trim and will do that later.

Also, is that dual 40 amp power feeds to the back of the cabin a real thing for PIUs?
I believe there are two(2) 50 amp power connections behind the passenger rear side panel.

Just finished replacing the front and rear speakers. Fronts were pretty straight forward since I had mounting kit. I didn’t find a rear mounting kit so I re-used the factor ones by cutting out the OEM speakers. Was a PITA but it actually fit quite nice.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back