• Register Today It's free!

replacing 4.0hhnoo in 02 xlt

03explorereb

Reaction score
City, State
cuba, missouri
Year, Model & Trim Level
06 explorer xlt
alright gents, it seems that the 4.0 in my xlt is done. i would replace timing chains but it has 228000 and has served it's purpose. so it looks like i will be replacing the engine in the coming days. any shortcuts or advice would be greatly appreciated. i will be posting some pics on here for future reference as there doesn't seem to be a lot of info floating around on engine removal for 3rd gens. some simple questions though right off the bat: can i leave most of the accessories on the engine? what about the a/c compressor and can i just set it off to the side without discharging it? any advice at all will be greatly appreciated and i will reciprocate by posting a few pics. thanks again and wish me luck!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If I recall correctly; some one got away with just removing the whole intake, radiator/shroud, bungee cording the crap out of the a/c compressor and its lines up out of the way and disconnecting the harness at the firewall. I think the headers had to come out separately though due to clearance issues with the steering linkage and something else?

:dunno:
Regardless, goodluck!

Did mine a a year or so ago, took me almost 3 days with almost a full day removing the nuts for the exhaust :(. Anyway you have to remove the fan and removing the intake made it much easier but you can leave everything else on. I tried to leave the a/c compressor in but in the end it came out, no big deal one bolt holds both lines on the compressor and when you are done just bring it to a shop for a charge/service (I did mine myself). You can leave the radiator alone and the motor will clear as long as the fan is off.

Really it was one of the easier motors to change (not counting the ones I pull and put back in monthly)

I really can't think of any problems, I did not even label anything as everything is cut to length and/or can really only go back where it belongs.

While you have the motor out it is good time to do some maintenance on had to reach parts (front diff and so on).

Good luck if you run into a problem let us know.

thanks guys. for all of the info. so far i am a couple of hours into it and i have figured out that you can leave the a/c compressor in, and as for the radiator i just pulled it although it was a little bit of a pain in the rearend to get it out. i had a thought and correct me if i am wrong: what about the possibility of sliding both the engine and transmission forward thus exposing the back bellhousing bolts? i don't even know if that could happen but with the transmission loose from the mount, both driveshafts removed and and nothing holding it back i don't see why it wouldn't work. btw i changed the pump seal, and the converter seal on my eddie's tranny and it actually looks easier to pull the engine on that one than this one. anyways i am off to enjoy a few frossssssttttyyy beverages so have yourselves one as well.

engine out!....now the search is on.....need help on interchange!

alright gents...motor is out of the 'sploder. not easy but i have worked on harder stuff before. as it would figure the camera took fuzzy pics of everything i did so when i put the engine back in i will take some pics in reverse. took about one good solid days worth of work to get it out but i tend to take my time on things when i haven't done one before. things i have discovered that maybe most of you already know: transmission can stay in the vehicle and as a matter of fact i never removed the mounts, driveshaft or anything. secondly, exhaust can stay where it's at, a/c can stay hooked up provided you can remove the main bracket for the power steering and a/c as one unit, hold it with one hand while using your right hand to take the nuts off that hold the unit on the bracket. top bellhousing bolts can be gotten to using a 13mm ratchet wrench on the top side through the fenderwells. no real mysteries here. biggest problem i had was driver side motor mount was being a real *****. so after about 45 min or so of straining my nuts off trying to remove the bolt i separated the mount itself from the block. anyways now the hunt is on for a good 4.0 and the so now the questions fly. what if any are the interchange for 4.0 vin e motor? will the vin k flex motor work and if so what needs to be changed to make this work? if not what other years will work? hollander says 02-03 but what i also know is that from my work on gm front drive minivans that while a few small details change such as motor mounts and injection rails the core engine remains the same across the lineup. anyways any help once again is greatly appreciated.

The long block is the same for 4.0L sohc, you can even use one from a mustang. You will need to res-use most of your old parts.

Funny I did not have a problem with the motor mounts but I still have nightmares about the 4 nuts for the exhaust :mad:

I should have told you about the 13mm bellhouseing bolts I have stubby I got for just that use.

If I remember the hard part putting it back in was the plate between the tranny and motor, I put some rtv on it to hold it in place. Might have been easier with two people but I was by myself.

Try and do some maintenance with the motor out, like the front diff.

thank on the interchange info. i got lucky on the exhaust nuts i guess but i sprayed the crap out of them with penetrating lube before taking them off. overall i would say it went rather smoothly with a minimum of 4 lettered words. i will let you know on the progress as i find another engine. hopefully it won't take too long or cost too much. we shall see. talk to you soon!

Back