Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

replacing a 4.0hhhnnooo in a 02 explorer pt 2!

Discussion in 'Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers' started by 03explorereb, July 25, 2011.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. 03explorereb

03explorereb Active Member

City, State:
      cuba, missouri
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      06 explorer xlt
      gents,
      just a quick update on my recent extraction and reclamation project i started awhile back. it took me a little while to find an engine but turns out i found a complete low mileage donor truck (65000) with a bad transmission for 500 bucks. killer deal right? anyways so after the motor extraction from the first ex came the second extraction a little later. wasn't really psyched up about doing another motor pull but for the money spent i couldn't pass it up. ran into a few problems with the second one, mainly being the exhaust manifold flange nuts being a real pain in the ass (thanks tower for pointing that out on your swap...i was lucky on my first one but my luck ran out on the second one!:D), so i had to snap them off and replace the studs.
      install was a little bit of a learning experience. what i discovered and what some of you already know is that just because an engine comes out easy doesn't necessarily mean it will go back in like that. i did discover that because of the fact that i didn't pull or move the tranny it made mating up with the engine all that much harder. in the end i had to remove both engine mounts to make the engine a little more moveable. mid motor plate was a huge pain to keep it on. from this point it became a two man job lining the engine up to the tranny and getting the converter studs to pass through the flywheel/flexplate. then all at once it just fell into place. Suck-cess! from that point it was just raising the motor to match the motor mounts and their position. really all in all it wasn't that bad of a job. i did have a little scare regarding the converter nuts as i dropped one into the inside of the bellhousing as i was attempting to fasten the converter to the flexplate.........:( .luckily i had a flex magnet and was able to fish it out. put everything back together and so far so good. wahoo! thanks to everybody on the forum for their two cents and i will talk to you all again soon.
      p.s.: if anybody has any questions on this please feel free to ask.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.