1. Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Dismiss Notice

Replacing bench with 2nd row bucket seats

Discussion in 'Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods' started by thorongil, March 25, 2011.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1. peterk9

peterk9 Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Ottawa, Ontario area
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2020 Aviator Reserve II
    Callsign:
    VE3
    Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
    Your thread has been merged with this one. There are a couple others about this issue as well that can be found using the 'Search' feature (top right). Here is one of them; http://www.explorerforum.com/forums...-2nd-row-bucket-seats-so-hard-to-find.397411/ Good luck.

Peter

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no advertisements, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. Tony91Sport

Tony91Sport Elite Explorer

Media:
    City, State:
    St Charles, MO
    2016 Explorer Sport
    So the RH 40 seat is the same as the RH bucket? All you need is the LH bucket?

4. peterk9

City, State:
    Ottawa, Ontario area
    2020 Aviator Reserve II
    Callsign:
    VE3
    So I was led to believe. Unable to confirm though. Looking at a parts website, the one I checked doesn't show fully assembled seats, just all the parts.
    http://parts.autonationfordwhitebea...ond-row-seats-scat/?part_number=fb5z7866600he
    I'm not aware of anyone here ordering a bucket seat or if it is even possible.

Peter

5. Andrew Jenkins

Andrew Jenkins New Member

2016 Ford edge
    So I've found some explorers with almost all my desires but I've yet to find the perfect one. The one thing they're all lacking is the 2nd row bucket seats option. I'm curious to see if anyone knows if it would be possible for the dealer to add them to a vehicle on their lot if I was to purchase that vehicle and pay for the 2nd row bucket seats option during the transaction.

6. ExPlat

ExPlat Elite Explorer

2016 Explorer Platinum
    There are some other threads that discuss this but the basic answer is yes. The 2nd row buckets can be exchanged into an Explorer with a bench seat, the mounting holes are all there. Finding and ordering all the separate matching parts from a Dealer is the problem, it is very expensive. Swapping out a complete 2nd row bucket seat set from an identical car would be the easiest, if you could find such a scenario. Why not just order an Explorer exactly the way you want it?

7. peterk9

City, State:
    Ottawa, Ontario area
    2020 Aviator Reserve II
    Callsign:
    VE3
    Welcome to the Forum Andrew.:wave:
    Your thread was merged with this one that ExPlat identified. I think it would be easier to order the vehicle you really want as suggested above if that is an option. Several members have wanted to replace a bench with buckets but finding them seems to be the biggest hurdle. FYI, the 2018 won't be out until the end of November at the earliest so you should have plenty of time to order a 2017 should you decide to go that route.

Peter

8. rookie1011

rookie1011 New Member

2013 Ford Explorer LTD
    nbeezy, I currently have an 2013 Explorer with 2nd row bucket seats, and have a couple questions when you did your swap. I bought a 60-40 bench and the brackets are not the same at all. The buckets have a rear bracket release that allow them to flip forward and the bench has all bolt down patterns. When you did your swap how did that work, was the bench bolted completed down (front and back). Thanks for any information anyone can provide.

9. peterk9

City, State:
    Ottawa, Ontario area
    2020 Aviator Reserve II
    Callsign:
    VE3
    Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
    Please complete your registration by adding the requested "trim level" (Base, XLT, etc.) to your profile so it shows in the margin. That can at times be very helpful.
    Do you have inflatable 2nd row seatbelts? If so, that is something to take into consideration when swapping out seats.

Peter

10. rookie1011

rookie1011 New Member

2013 Ford Explorer LTD
    Thanks Peter, I added it, I have a Limited and no I do not have the inflatable seatbelts.

11. Eric F

Eric F Elite Explorer

City, State:
    So Cal
    2017 Explorer XLT
    It looks like nbreezy was a hit-it-and-quit member. He hasn't been active since the day of his first post. At this point, I wouldn't expect an answer to your questions unless another member has some relavent info to share.

12. rookie1011

rookie1011 New Member

2013 Ford Explorer LTD
    Thanks for the info. Seems like a hard subject to get a solid answer on. That user and the other user in the thread that I posted the second thread in are the only two I've found claiming to have done the bench seat to bucket swap. My second reply was deleted for posting in too many threads, can I go and post that question in there too or no? Thanks, I'm new to being involved with forums.

13. peterk9

City, State:
    Ottawa, Ontario area
    2020 Aviator Reserve II
    Callsign:
    VE3
    As per Forum rules (bottom right), you may only post the same question in one Forum. I found three threads on replacing a bench with bucket seats and they are now all in this one thread. I was not able to find any thread on changing buckets to bench so I would suggest starting a new thread (Replacing buckets with bench seat) on that topic to see if anyone can help out.

Peter

14. mrbbq85

mrbbq85 New Member

City, State:
    Virginia Beach, VA
    16 Ford Explorer XLT 2.3L
    This is gold. Thanks for sharing.

15. peterk9

City, State:
    Ottawa, Ontario area
    2020 Aviator Reserve II
    Callsign:
    VE3
    Keep in that when it says 2011 - Present Ford Explorer it should now read 2011-2019 since the 2020 Explorer is on a different (D6) platform.

Peter

• Like Like x 1
  16. fullwoodj

fullwoodj New Member

2013 Explorer XLT V6 4wd
    I do believe that the like year/model Flex second row seats will also bolt up directly to the explorer. I haven't tried it, but I remember reading that somewhere as they have a similar pillar system.

17. Tanner Sanders

Tanner Sanders New Member

City, State:
    Mesa, Arizona
    2013 Explorer Sport
    I’ve got a 13 Sport. If anyone is in the Phoenix area that wants buckets in trade for their bench.. message me!! I’ll trade ya!

18. mrbbq85

mrbbq85 New Member

City, State:
    Virginia Beach, VA
    16 Ford Explorer XLT 2.3L
    Did the swap. Put a '13 Flex 2nd row RH as a LH bucket. The seat belt buckle is on the wrong side, and the style is different. At least the tan leather kinda matches. But all I need it for is to strap in a baby seat, while allowing access to the 3rd row for my 6yo. It was four bolts. Two of the holes in the seat were slightly off from the mount holes in Ex. I had to bore them out a little with a rotary file, no big deal.

I'm 99% happy with the swap. My only hang up is this: The old bench had a wire harness attaching it to the Ex. I don't have heated rear seats; it's for the seat belt airbags. The flex seat has no such wire. Not a problem: Obviously I don't need the seat belt airbag for a baby seat. However, without the harness I have a permanent airbag light on my dash. Chilton's doesn't have a wiring diagram, does anyone else?

19. peterk9

City, State:
    Ottawa, Ontario area
    2020 Aviator Reserve II
    Callsign:
    VE3
    You may want to confirm that the other airbags are still functional. I've read posts that said if the light is ON, that the system as a whole may not work. I'm not sure if that was ever confirmed.

Peter

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  20. pdxgeek

pdxgeek Member

16 PIU EB
    16 Focus RS
    Ford makes dummy plugs for that airbag light for like... GTXXX mustangs or Shelbys or one of those sportier versions, I believe. You can wire them up with the proper resistance easy enough. Not sure what that is for explorers, but here is a link detailing how others are doing it in the Focus and such.

Euro Recaro Shells in US-Spec RS with NO AIRBAG LIGHTS? Yes you can!

There are also ways to do it in Forscan from what I understand, but that may be more difficult.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  21. skyeyes70

skyeyes70 New Member

City, State:
    Las Vegas, NV
    '15 EXPLORER LTD
    I'm looking to switch my 2nd row bucket seats with the bench seat. I was under the impression that I need to look at 2013-2015 models. I've got a 2015. After reading though the this thread, I'm thinking I can expand my search to 2011-2019. Could someone confirm this?

Also, my model has the air bag seat belts. I am wondering if anyone has insights into switching the buckle on the seat if I find one without the air bag seat belt.

Thanks!