Replacing Fuel Pump in 98 Exp Sport V6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Replacing Fuel Pump in 98 Exp Sport V6

1976pianoman

Reaction score
City, State
Northridge, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Exp Sport V6 5spd
Hello. I'm seeing there are two ways I can go about replacing the fuel pump; just the pump itself or the entire apparatus. If I do go ahead with this, I need to keep the cost as low as possible as I'm selling this vehicle and her value isn't much. Can I get away with just replacing the pump itself? There are 113,000 miles on this Explorer.

Also, do I have to remove the fuel tank to do this!? If so, can this be done without jacking her up?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If there's nothing wrong with the operation of your fuel gauge there's no reason to replace the FP assembly. Replacing just the fuel pump is pretty easy and inexpensive. You don't even need to disconnect the fuel line from the FP assembly (which is a major PITA) to replace just the pump. You will want to also buy a new strainer sock and fuel filter for the job.

Yes just replace just the pump (Bosch don't cheep out ))
Yes you have to drop the tank
Yes gonna have to Jack it up
Here this may help give you a idea
My pump replacement. Is my fuel pump bad 1999 ford explorer shoc 4.0. Lots of pictures on the replacement
Hey just curious as to why you put a board below your jack? Is that because the ground isnt level? Or is it because its gravel and its a preventive measure in case the jack kicks out? Or something else entirely? Just wondering if I should be putting boards under mine.

i put a board below my jack stands cause i dont wanna leave an indent in the flooring (mine is rubber) and iirc donald has gravel, and on gravel, it can slip. also to keep it even, as there are variations in the gravel... when possible, spread out the force ;) whether its jacking a vehicle up, or free fallin! or at least thats my take

i put a board below my jack stands cause i dont wanna leave an indent in the flooring (mine is rubber) and iirc donald has gravel, and on gravel, it can slip. also to keep it even, as there are variations in the gravel... when possible, spread out the force ;) whether its jacking a vehicle up, or free fallin! or at least thats my take
yep you got it
Just a little safety

Back