Replacing instrument panel | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Replacing instrument panel

AKMountaineer

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
06 Merc Mtneer Conv.
I've tried searching around but can't find a definitive answer. I live in Alaska and can't ship parts back and forth until something works out...

I have a 2006 Mercury Mountaineer Convenience with a cracked plastic lens in front of the gauges. If I get an instrument cluster off eBay or a junkyard, can I just plug it in and it will work? There seem to be more Explorer parts, but the only difference I can tell is the color of the temperature and gas gauge needles, mounting and plug looks the same. My understanding is that prior to 2006 the clusters were more like computers and had to be programmed to pair with the ECM, mileage, etc, but 2006+ it's more of a display only and should plug and play.

Can anyone help me before I waste time and money on useless clusters?

Thanks a lot,

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would ask to see pictures (if you can) of the connectors on back and compare them to yours. I did the same many years ago swapping (and upgrading) gauge clusters in a 98 Contour, and it worked most of the time. There were moments when half the cluster would drop to zero, and then power back up and register but it was intermittent. One issue is you either have to get one that is "approximately" the same mileage display as yours if the display is mechanical, and not electronic. The electronic mileage should be stored in the ECU. But the only true issue is if the new cluster has more functions than wasn't supported by your old cluster, and won't have the connectors or pin-outs to support those.

Where in Alaska are you?

the mileage and theft security is stored on a chip inside the cluster and must be reprogrammed for engine to start. when replacing the whole cluster the part numbers must match and 06-07 years work together and all other years must be exact year im sure it gets even more complicated with the mountys ive only looked into this with explorers ...... sounds like you just need to swap out the front plastic which is very easy and removing the cluster is the best design ever its so easy

Absolutely correct. Found a cheap cluster online and plugged it in, donor car mileage displayed and keys didn't work. Was able to get the plastic front piece off and use it plus replace some dead bulbs on the original.

Shocked that you got the lens off. The shop that cloned my cluster tried and it started cracking immediately. They sent it to me and I tried and destroyed the lens. So brittle it was impossible to even pry loose one tab! The vehicle was 12 years garage kept.

Yeah, that's how I ended up in this situation originally...the gauge background moved a little so that the E on the fuel gauge is slightly covered and some white background around the gauges was visible. No big deal but I figured since the gauges are so easy to take out, I'd pop off the lens and fix it or Sharpie over the white so you couldn't tell....cracked the lens immediately.

I slit the retainers on the donor cluster mask (black piece) that hold the lens in and was able to wiggle it out that way without bending the tabs at all. Reinstalling it was nerve wracking getting the last corner to sit flush...I think you could bend the mask back into position enough to get a new lens to stay on but probably won't because who wants a partially destroyed 12 year old cluster....

Back