Replacing left side tires | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Replacing left side tires

Both my left side tires are flat due to an unfortunate event of some random junkie slashing the tires in a parking lot. So I have my 2 new tires and I'm ready to put my truck on jacks and take the 2 wheels to the shop. I do it this way because I have aftermarket wheels and lug nuts so I prefer to do it myself with my tools.
The tires I have (falken wildpeak at3w) are pretty new, I forgot where I wrote down the mileage I installed them at but its less than 8,000 miles ago, maybe even less than 5000 miles.
Im wondering if I should just slap on the 2 new left side tires and be done, or should I consider taking off all 4 wheels so I can rotate them to where the 2 new tires are in front?
I know radial tires aren't supposed to be moved to the other side of a vehicle (they are meant to only be rotated front to back), correct? So if I put the 2 new tires in front I would have to move the front right tire to the rear left...not sure if the mileage permits this or not...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Since all the tires have relatively low miles, I would just get two new ones and put them on the one side, provided they are the same style and advertised size as the ones they are replacing.

I’d put the new tires on the front axle.

Both my left side tires are flat due to an unfortunate event of some random junkie slashing the tires in a parking lot. So I have my 2 new tires and I'm ready to put my truck on jacks and take the 2 wheels to the shop. I do it this way because I have aftermarket wheels and lug nuts so I prefer to do it myself with my tools.
The tires I have (falken wildpeak at3w) are pretty new, I forgot where I wrote down the mileage I installed them at but its less than 8,000 miles ago, maybe even less than 5000 miles.
Im wondering if I should just slap on the 2 new left side tires and be done, or should I consider taking off all 4 wheels so I can rotate them to where the 2 new tires are in front?
I know radial tires aren't supposed to be moved to the other side of a vehicle (they are meant to only be rotated front to back), correct? So if I put the 2 new tires in front I would have to move the front right tire to the rear left...not sure if the mileage permits this or not...

You have A4WD, you cannot mismatch tire sizes front to back. The front tire pair must have the same total diameter as the rear pair. If you put the different tires in the front or rear, the 4WD system will be damaged. The 4WD will detect the different front shaft speed, and engage the TC internal clutch(the front tires).

If you can't buy four matching tires, and the used ones are close, then it's possible to carefully monitor the size of the front pair versus the rear pair, very regularly.

That means figure out which tire positions on your truck wear the fastest. Most vehicles that will be the right rear for sure, and usually the right front wears faster than the left front.

You want the two new tires in the two fastest wearing positions of the front and rear. For my vehicles(2 AWD and 1 A4WD), I'd put the two new tires on the right side. I'd also be placing that RR tire on the LF, since my rears both wear faster than the fronts.

You can swap any tires left to right as you want to, that old radial myth is about 35 years old, forget that crap. The only tires that cannot be swapped side to side are directional tires, which are marked on the tires usually with a big arrow molded into the sidewall. Those have unique tread patterns which will catch water(hydroplane) if you put them on backwards.

After bringing those 2 wheels to the shop, I did not need new tires after all. They were not slashed, just all the air let out of them even though I saw what looked like a actual knife cut on the tires. Because I had to roll my truck around a little with those tires completely flat, barely moving on/off the tow truck and in/out of my garage, I thought these tires would be damaged from that and the tow truck driver thought so also. Discount tire checked them good after filling them with air, and we put them under water to check for leaks. They said there was no damage to the tires at all, no leaks. They said these all-terrain /LT rated tires are easily tough enough to withstand what I put these thru. I did not know that. Do you guys agree, or could there be some kind of damage? Should I return the 2 new tires that I ended up taking home anyways that day?

If a tire place told you they were fine, I’m sure they are. They’d love to sell you more tires.

I’d return them if they’d take them.

I would put them in the rear since traction is in the rear most of the time.

Back