Replacing Multifunction Switch | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Replacing Multifunction Switch

aldive

Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT
The multifunction switch on my ’99 has been infected with a poltergeist for quite some time; the wipers come on whenever it suits them.

This integrated multifunction switch controls the turn signals, hazard flasher, windshield wiper/washer control, headlamp dimmer/flash-to-pass.

I finally decided to replace the switch.

The switch, part number YL5Z13K359AAA, cost $66.48 at my local Ford dealership.

The first step is to disconnect the negative battery cable. Next, the 3 screws that hold the steering column shrouds on were removed and upper and lower steering column shrouds. This fully exposes the multifunction switch and its two Allen head screws which are then removed. The two electrical connectors are removed.

Installation is the reverse of the above procedure.

The total time involved in this project was about 20 minutes.

Alas, the poltergeist has been exorcised; all functions controlled by the multifunction switch have been restored to normal.

Attachments

• DSC01033.JPG
    DSC01033.JPG
    35.4 KB · Views: 39,439
  • connectors.jpg
    connectors.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 44,291
  • switych installed.jpg
    switych installed.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 53,298

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm on my 4th one, every time I hit a junk yard I grab one or two....88 parts are discontinued these days...

Funny thing is each time I replaced it, except for the first time it ended up being something else (bad wire) so I have 6 or 7 of these suckers sitting around that work....hahahah yeah yeah so typical of my truck..

Several interesting things happened since replacing this switch ( I assume the exorcism was incomplete ).

First, the seat belt alarm started working again ( http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137840 ).

Second, the chime that signifies that the lights are on when the door is opened sounds off whenever the door is opened. This is quite annoying.

aldive said:
Second, the chime that signifies that the lights are on when the door is opened sounds off whenever the door is opened. This is quite annoying.

Whether or not the lights are actually ON?

BuffaloXplorer said:
Whether or not the lights are actually ON?

Yes; totally independent of the lights. Strange, very strange,

you have completed many chime circuits :)

Switch gremlins

I have been fighting a lot of the same symptoms. At first my switch had several problems: hazard did not work, wipers would change speeds without touching the switch, blinker would buzz every now and then. I changed the switch with one out of the junkyard and it fixed almost everything. Now my only problem is a buzz in the right turn position. If I hold the switch a little to the right it will blink ok. I changed the flasher relay (under the dash) and it did not help. I'm guessing that I got a bad switch. I guess I will try a new one from the ford dealer. Let me know if you have any other ideas. :frustrate

Good post Al. Sorry to hear your still having little problems with your switch.

-Drew

Man and I thought my spontaneous tact was annoying, Good luck

mshuffler said:
I have been fighting a lot of the same symptoms. At first my switch had several problems: hazard did not work, wipers would change speeds without touching the switch, blinker would buzz every now and then. I changed the switch with one out of the junkyard and it fixed almost everything. Now my only problem is a buzz in the right turn position. If I hold the switch a little to the right it will blink ok. I changed the flasher relay (under the dash) and it did not help. I'm guessing that I got a bad switch. I guess I will try a new one from the ford dealer. Let me know if you have any other ideas. :frustrate
My xlt 99 suffered from the buzz instead of the blinkers working so last week I went to Ford and clained it on the extended warranty and they replaced it no charge.Ford has also come to the party on new cam chain ajustors and gas struts for the hood (amazing since there is only 6000k to go on the warranty)

The buzz means you got another bad multi-function switch. If adjusting the handle makes the blinkers work properly, then its the switch and nothing else. Buy a new one, it'll save you time in the long run.

Also, just for some of your knowledge, I was having some somwhat similar problems in my 1997 V8. Whenever I would turn the blinker left without actually locking it into the left turn (IE: Just holding enough for blinker), a nice puff of electrical smoke would pop up from the steering column. It would also deactivate my Cruise Control if it was engaged. And ironically, only the left turn, not the right one.

This is evidently very common, has something to do with the grease in the contact getting old. I was going to replace it, but held off, and now everything works fine as it did before, even if I just hold it enough to blink... weird.

BTW... rockauto.com has the switch for $34.....

i bought the switch on ebay new for $20 since mine was doing the annoying buzz thing. just a note: to get the shroud off you have to take the tilt column lever off, which i couldnt figure out how to do so i just worked around it, which was a pain. also, its torx screws that hold in the switch.

i bought the switch on ebay new for $20 since mine was doing the annoying buzz thing. just a note: to get the shroud off you have to take the tilt column lever off, which i couldnt figure out how to do so i just worked around it, which was a pain. also, its torx screws that hold in the switch.

20$ for a new one ?

To all who responded with all the help THANKS!

It turned out to be a wire was pinched in the steering column and after 170,000 miles it went.

Down side, I purchased a new switch from Ford. Hopefully they will take it back.

To all who responded with all the help THANKS!

It turned out to be a wire was pinched in the steering column and after 170,000 miles it went.

Down side, I purchased a new switch from Ford. Hopefully they will take it back.

If not let me, give me aprice shipped to zip code 30044.

jfman

sent you a private message

I opened mine up because the one from the wrecking yard i put on was worse than what I had, no washer misting and headlights flickered, I couldnt see any wear just minor tracks where the contacts contacted so i used a mini wire cup brush for a dremel and applied dielectric grease to all the contatcs<----opening the switch is waaaay easier said than done, total pain(if you can build a model car with your eyes closed this should be no problem:p)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Paypal sent Cobra ESQ

Back