1. Tip...
    If you hold most smartphones sideways
    you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Replacing Schrader valve under pressure

Discussion in 'A/C & Heater systems - HVAC' started by fixt, August 4, 2011.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

  1. fixt

    fixt Active Member

    November 15, 2010
    Likes Received:
    Trophy Points:
    City, State:
    North Carolina
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    1996 5.0L XLT AWD
    I have a core replacement kit that has various stems for GM and Ford valves.
    It's supposed to fit all R134a valves and most R12 with the adapters. It has the quick connect valves also.
    Nowhere can I find any specifications for these cores or the adapter bases.

    Look at this Ford LP side core on a R134a system. As you can hopefully see, it looks like a rubber ball instead of a typical protruding valve stem. The sides of the valve core adapter taper inward instead of being straight like the rest I've seen.
    What kind of valve and base is this? Most importantly, can the valve be replaced under pressure or does the system need to be discharged first.

    LP valve weeps, you can see the bubbles

    HP valve hisses, I put the cap back quick. Same type construction.
    There's a muffler/filter downstream of this valve on the flexible line.
  2. Support EF

    Join the Elite Explorers for $20

    Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Share This Page

We Support Our Troops!