Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Replacing Seat Filters $$$$

Discussion in 'Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion' started by Bill #5 Explorer, February 24, 2012.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. Napalm

Napalm Active Member

City, State:
    Memphis tn
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    Look up the ALL DATA subscription or whomever else does the Ford Dealer shop manuals.

I get them for my GM cars - it's worth the extra penny over the basic chilton or some others.

the extra detail and the listings of codes etc - is well worth it IMO.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. sheltonfilms

sheltonfilms Active Member

City, State:
    Hoover, AL
    2013 Limited 3.5L
    Helm Inc makes the shop manuals for Ford. Alldata copies them to put all OEMs in one system.

helminc.com sells the service manual cds/dvds for $170. Used to have paper copies but everything is now digital.

Alldata has a DIY version that is pretty cheap in my opinion. 1 year subscription is $27 and 5 years is $45. That is only for 1 specific car model/year.

4. Ellocovg

Ellocovg Member

City, State:
    NJ
    08 Danger Ranger XLT
    Man dealers service departments must be punching walls all over the us huh lol.

5. gchans

gchans New Member

City, State:
    Denver
    2013 Ford Explorer Sport
    Dealership Rip Off

My Ford dealership wants $25 for each filter. I found them at O'Reily Auto Parts and they want $30 each.
    HIGHWAY ROBBERY!
    At most they are worth $5 each, probably really only about $1.95 each!
    I will find a alternate way to replace these.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks to all

6. peterk9

peterk9 Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Ottawa, Ontario area
    2017 Explorer Platinum
    Callsign:
    VE3
    Stick with the OEM filters. Apparently in the 2016 models the filters are permanent ones.

Peter

7. tuin42man

tuin42man Member

City, State:
    Winston Salem NC
    2012 explorer limited
    I believe the newer models only have a screen and no filter like the older ones. I bought mine for a 2012 limited at Oriellys for about $ 30 each I had about 50,000 miles and then I compared the old to the new one I couldn't tell any difference so I kept the old ones for future use. They are very easy as the cover just twist off and back on.

8. Sgt1411

Sgt1411 Elite Explorer

City, State:
    VanBC/GoodyearAZ
    2017 Explorer SPORT
    Are they something you could take off and clean like the filters in a Dyson vacuum?

Or are they paper so no water or compressed air?

9. tuin42man

tuin42man Member

City, State:
    Winston Salem NC
    2012 explorer limited
    the ones for mine are more like a pad of some sort of plastic and could probably be washed. They are very east to remove just push seat forward and up the reach under from back floor and twist, I believe counter clockwise to remove. Does not twist much as there are slots, and the cover and filter come off.

10. Lewisra

Lewisra Active Member

City, State:
    Howell, mi
    2017 explorer limited
    Has anyone compared 2016 filters to prior years to see if they are actually different, or how much different.

11. tuin42man

tuin42man Member

City, State:
    Winston Salem NC
    2012 explorer limited
    Seems like I saw a post where somebody bought new ones from amazon or ebay and all they were was a screen similar to the cover o my 2012 and would only keep material from entering the fan and not filter the air.

12. tuin42man

tuin42man Member

City, State:
    Winston Salem NC
    2012 explorer limited
    Just checked amazon. they call for motorcraft fs-104 $24 something. Ebay had same thing for $22 something. They are listed for 2015's and does not have any
    filter media in them.

13. chicagoslick

chicagoslick Active Member

City, State:
    Indianapolis Indiana
    2016 Explorer Platinum
    Yeah I noticed the same thing...Pg 154 of manual...

14. cwescapexlt4x4

cwescapexlt4x4 Explorin' the Desert SW Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Litchfield Park, AZ area...
    2016 Explorer LTD (FWD)
    That's ^^^ what I came in to add as well, seems to be an update/upgrade on the 2016+ (page 154) Interesting to see how things change/evolve or find not really needed to service. I would wonder if for piece of mind the 16+ are changeable?

15. Bill #5 Explorer

Bill #5 Explorer Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Chicago Area
    2016 Explorer XLT
    I had over 153,000 miles on my old 2011 Limited before trading in for the 2016 XLT. I never did have the cooled seat filters changed. My seats always worked great. I did vacuum the filter a couple times. though.

16. jmr061

jmr061 Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Wisconsin
    16 Edge
    Pr-16 Exp Sport
    For everyone's information the "new" replacement filter for the 11-15 is nothing more than the plastic housing with holes in it. No screen, no filter. If anyone is looking for some that have the filter element yet I have a few left from when I had my Taurus. I sold some for $20 each shipped.

17. Sunny32_1967

Sunny32_1967 Active Member

City, State:
    Highlands Ranch, CO
    2015 Ford Explorer Sport
    Jmr061 is absolutely correct. I just spent 2 hours trying to replace my cabin air filter since my explorer was already at 30000 miles. With a lot of precautions also, i ended up breaking the round plastic hook in which the plastic retainer goes. It was hell to push in the left retainer back in. Never ever am I going to try to change that myself.

Also wanted to change the seat filters since my sport has heated/cooled seats. I was thinking that the filters must be damn dirty with pet hair etc. Found out that they are a joke on the name of filter. I will more so call them lifetime filter (hah!) since they will never ever catch any dirt or even pet hair. Anyways spent 2 hrs to save 20 - 40 bucks and ended up breaking my glovebox hook. Will need to call dealer to order glovebox door.

18. jmr061

jmr061 Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Wisconsin
    16 Edge
    Pr-16 Exp Sport
    I have wondered if those pins in the glove box are even needed???

19. Sunny32_1967

City, State:
    Highlands Ranch, CO
    2015 Ford Explorer Sport
    Jason, the glove box door is about 350.00 USD. Your statement tells me that as long as the glove box door is closing and opening fine, I shall not worry about replacing the door just because of one plastic round hook.

20. Andy Sharpe

Andy Sharpe New Member

2016 Explorer XLT 4WD
    "WHITE PINS"...To change the Cabin Air Filter the glove box must be removed. While searching for the Brake Controller connection, I attempted to remove the glove box so I could look behind it. I saw a video on YouTube so I knew what was needed. There are two white pins that secure the Glove Box to the dash. The pin on the left came right out but the pin on the right could not be removed, part of the pin is paddle shaped and that was right up against what looked like part of the passenger air bag. I was able to get a side cutter on the paddle and cut off about 3/16" at that point it came right out. Removed the box saw where the Air Filter goes and reinstalled the glove box. This time the right pin went right back in but the left pin did not want to go in. There is a grove in the pin that must line up with a ridge and the paddle shaped part kept hitting the air bag part. I trimmed off 3/16" off the paddle and the left pin went back in. I used a mirror to see what I was doing with the white pins. If you lay on your back looking up and need to cut the paddles, wear eye protection. The SUV is two weeks old so I was really just exploring the Explorer!

21. Sunny32_1967

City, State:
    Highlands Ranch, CO
    2015 Ford Explorer Sport
    Andy, I saw the video myself. It all seemed so easy to see how things are done in the video but man o man. This was freaking tough. I ended up breaking a part. I was going to get the dealer to replace the Glovebox but after Jason's comments decided to see how it behaves with the broken pin. So far so good and things are holding up just fine. Can't stop beating myself as to why did I even try knowing I am not good with the delicate things.