Replacing Stereo 1995 Ex with Clarion 6 disc changer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Replacing Stereo 1995 Ex with Clarion 6 disc changer

keller_32

Reaction score
City, State
Centre County, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Ford Explorer XLT
So my stereo is getting pretty worn out. going over small bumps it skips and casette tray doesnt work (got a casette that i can plug my phone into to play music). anyways, its dated and i want to get a new head unit. Ive helped replace them in other vehicles, but it was basic installation. what will this project involve as with the cd changer? will i need to just get rid of that and use the cd tray on my new head unit? it seems like its going to be more difficult than what i thought and i want it done right...any help?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Get rid of the CD player, and just put in a good new head unit. Ford CD changers are garbage anyway.

The new headunit will go in pretty easy with the right wiring kit. In 95, you have a factory amplifier in the rear. You can choose to bypass it or keep it. Keeping it is much easier and less work.

Other than that, it's just a matter of connecting up the right wires to the harness, then plugging it in.

Feel free to ask more questions.

Get rid of the CD player, and just put in a good new head unit. Ford CD changers are garbage anyway.

The new headunit will go in pretty easy with the right wiring kit. In 95, you have a factory amplifier in the rear. You can choose to bypass it or keep it. Keeping it is much easier and less work.

Other than that, it's just a matter of connecting up the right wires to the harness, then plugging it in.

Feel free to ask more questions.

Ok. I had no idea about the amp...are most wiring kits meant to be combined with the amp or meant to bypass it? and how do i deal with the previous wiring to the CD changer?

There are wiring harness to deal with both situations. The cheap Walmart ones will incorporate the factory amp. The previous CD Changer wiring won't get in the way, just leave it in place. You can actually take the CD changer would of the center console and get tons more room. It just unplugs with 1 small plug if you choose to do that.

awesome. that helps alot

Back