Replacing stereo - project record | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Replacing stereo - project record

celticchrys

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
Hello all,
I plan to replace the factory Premium stereo with an aftermarket unit in order to gain mp3 and bluetooth features. This is going to be a pretty simple project. I plan to keep the speaker/amp/sub that came in the truck. But for others who are looking for a simpler upgrade, maybe this will be of interest. The necessary items should arrive in a couple of days. I thought I would document the process here to add to the community resources.

This is the stereo I'm planning to install. I did not want a touch-screen, because I do not want to have to look at it to change tracks, etc. as I'm driving. I didn't need navigation because I already have that on my phone.
JVC KW-XR810 (Did you know JVC is currently owned and made by Kenwood?).
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003EO8UNI

I've also ordered this wiring harness. It is for the Premium Sport Trac which came with the 6cd Pioneer unit, not Adrenalin, and not the basic radio/single cd). The 2004 Premium Sport Trac with the 6 cd unit has an amp and subwoofer.
Metra 70-5521
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000K50GTA

Last, I have ordered this trim/install kit:
Metra 95-502
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000K52CX8

I have installed several other aftermarket units before in another truck, but it's been 6 or 8 years. I'm quite looking forward to being able to play digital audio files in my vehicle again.

I'll update in a few days, once the pieces arrive.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Part 2 Update:
After returning the Metra kit listed above, and ordering the Scosche kit suggested by Flounder below, I've mostly got my install sorted out. Thanks for the advice everyone gave below and in PM!

Removing the factory stereo with some helpful pieces of metal clothes hanger:
IMG_20110627_172832.png

In the 2004 Sport Trac that came with a 6CD Pioneer stereo with subwoofer and amp from the factory(but not the Adrenalin package), this is what the plugs inside the dash look like. Left to right, they are for the main stereo harness, the amp/subwoofer harness, and the radio antenna:
IMG_20110620_171922.png

I kept my factory speakers and amp. This wiring harness from Metra is the needed item for this setup:
IMG_20110627_173042.png

Wiring up the harness, and adding the voltage regulator(Thanks to Flounder and bdmaash!) :
IMG_20110628_182316.png

You do have to remove some tabs along the top and bottom of the dash opening, as previously mentioned by others on this site. The 2-din stereo will just fit, in terms of height, after you remove these tabs. I just bent them back and forth with pliers until I could pull them off. This was awkward and slow. I highly recommend using a Dremmel or other rotary tool to anyone doing this. Sliding in the stereo, there are slight cracks on the left and right. You can see this here:
IMG_20110628_203655.png

Flounder had suggested using peel&stick felt to keep light leaks from coming through cracks. I happened to have on hand some thin rubbery/foamy strips of self-stick weather-stripping from a window air conditioner install. I used these to over all four edges of the opening in the dash. This helps avoid light leaks, vibrations, etc. I also used a long strip of this under the stereo on the brace, to absorb vibration.
IMG_20110628_204734.png

With the Scosche trim/install kit's faceplate, things really look nice. I did not yet paint the trim/faceplate piece because I think it blends in well with the stereo, and also because I'm pondering removing and repainting the entire silver dash surround in the near future anyway, and that will be a good time. Sorry that this is a horrible photo, I will replace it with a more clear view later!
IMG_20110629_073006.png

I am loving this stereo so far! CD, mp3 flash drive, radio, bluetooth, all work great so far. It sounds very good. techno, rock, and classical all sound great. It gets a lot more out of the factory speakers than the factory stereo ever did, and has a lot more in terms of equalizer options. Opinions all around are that there's a much richer sound. Here's a night shot:
IMG_20110628_213855.png

I'll get a clear day-time shot up soon! I'm a happy camper, and I appreciate the advice others sent my way. It's amazing how helpful just a small piece of information can be at the right time.

That install kit will not work. That works with Gen II Sport Tracs. The problem is that most "what fits my vehicle" systems don't differentiate between the late-model Gen I Sport Tracs, which are akin to a 1995 Explorer on the interior, and Gen II Sport Tracs.

This is the kit you'll need: http://www.amazon.com/Metra-95-5600-Installation-1995-2008-Vehicles/dp/B001JT01RI/

But it's a terrible kit (I tried it). The head unit sits recessed, with the surround sticking out beyond it by 1/2" or more.

This is the Scosche kit that works extremely well: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/390322080104

I used the Scosche kit. However, I did not use the rear track/riser included with the kit because it was too small. Instead, I used the riser that was attached to the OEM head unit.

And this is as-installed in my ST. The paint, which is a 99% match to the stock dash trim color, is Dupli-Color Import Auto Spray, Dark Grey (M) CC, # E8800564, UPC 0 26916 80564 5, 5 oz. can. Pep Boys, among other suppliers, sells it. I topped it with a single coat of clear (unsanded--to keep the "gloss" low like the stock trim). Also, be sure to lightly sand the filler plate so that the paint adheres properly.

attachment.php

One other thing to consider is to line the inner lip of the dash bezel with black self-stick felt (behind the filler plate). Because no filler plate fits 100% perfectly, the black felt will block out any light from penetrating behind the filler plate and will make it appear as though it seals the opening completely.

You'll also need incorporate a transistor (12v to 5v) in the amp/sub-on wiring. If you do not, the sub will pop every time you turn on the radio. This occurs because aftermarket head units have 12v amp/sub-on, whereas Ford uses 5v.

transistor_wire.JPG

You can pick up the transistor at Radio Shack: http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062599

On the right side of the radio dash opening, there is a metal support. On this metal support is a pre-drilled but unused hole. The hole makes an easy attachment point for the transistor using a small screw and nylock nut.

Attachments

• install.JPG
    install.JPG
    111.6 KB · Views: 6,806

Flounder, I really appreciate all the tips, especially the transistor(*EDIT* oops, meant regulator *END EDIT*) information and the paint color pointers. I have several Radio Shack stores here in town, so hopefully I can pick the transistor up today. I will have to hunt up the right trim/install kit as well. It is frustrating how all of the "find your vehicle" wizards on web sites are so limited.

I also really appreciate the pointers on the paint, because the stock paint on my dash surround there has a few tiny spots where it is beginning to peel. I think an entire bezel sanding/painting afternoon is in my future at some point.

I do not have black self-stick felt handy, but I have some thin rubbery self-stick strips of weather seal that came with an air conditioner. I think those should serve well to prevent light leaks.

Thanks once again for the info. My previous truck stereo installs were very simple, as there were no amp or sub involved.

*EDIT* Everything just arrived, and you are right about the trim/install kit not working. It looks like it would stick out very far. *END EDIT*

ask for a "5Volt voltage regulator" not a transistor

ask for a "5Volt voltage regulator" not a transistor

Yep, got it. I was typing in a hurry earlier, but I had made sure to write down item number and catalog number before heading to Radio Shack.

Sad to report that no one in this area appears to have the Scosche kit, so It could be 2-3 more days to get the proper one in by UPS.

Doh--regulator. Sorry about the confusion.

hey, i could really use some help. im doing the same thing you are with my stereo in my sport trac. my problem is i cant get my sub to work. i have the same wiring harness and voltage regulator as you do. what wires did you solder to the voltage regulator?

Should be the remote turn on blue/white

Yep, just run that wire to your amp and if you have power to it then it will turn on as your stereo is on

USArmy Active Duty. Nathan, 2002 Sport Trac 4x4. -TT, K&N intake, Poweraid throttle body spacer, Flowmaster 40 with turn down, 30k Kensun HID headlights and fog lights, high beam relay mod, Grille delete, LED grille lights, Recon light bar w/ reverse lights, tinted 3rd brake light, 5% tinted windows.

Good post, but my sporttrace adrenaline with the pioneer system is giving me problems, seems all the recommended adapters are the wrong ones, looking at the metra website I need the 70-5519, That is after I have already ordered and received the 70-1771C from crutchfield and the 70-5521 from amazon. Wish I just had a schematic for which colors did what I I would get rid of the adapters and splice the wires instead of chasing my tail

Hey all,
I'm doing a similar stereo replacement on my 2001 Sport Trac (Job 1). I have the regular OEM single-CD stereo system. Does this stereo have an amp? I know very little about car stereos so hopefully this is not a dumb

I ordered a double-DIN stereo on Ebay and bought the install kit and stereo connector at Walmart. The install kit is Scosche FD3090 and the stereo connector is Scosche FDK106. Has anyone used these kits/pieces? I saw the post from Flounder recommending the Scosche kit over Metra but the kit part number I bought is not the same as the one he mentioned.

Back