• Register Today It's free!

replacing the TPS

explondwa

Reaction score
City, State
Denver, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 XLT
hey all , i just bought a new Throttle Position sensor and i need to replace , what do i need to watch out for , i heard that i have to adjust the timing or something but not sure how to do it or what it involves i removed the old one and it has a number 3 on the inside the new one has 4 , what do this number mean or how to i go about replacing it ?
:redexp:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I reccomend getting a manual on your vehicle. I picked one up for minw and in some cases it is vague, but can help you identify what things you may encounter during dissassembly with some brief descriptions.

I keep mine in my SUV religiously, or in every vehicle I have ever owned as a matter of fact.......

best of luck!!:p

Nothing special about replacing the TPS.. Just pull the battery cable... Pull the snow shield off the top of the intake (if you have one).. unhook the electrical connector.. remove 2 screws... remove/replace and put it back together...

When your done plug the battery back in (should be 10 minutes by now) and the truck will re-learn everything with the new TPS (which is why you took of the battery cable when yous tarted)..

~Mark

When i replaced mine, (super easy) i left my battery cable off for about 30 minutes...
usually whenever i do anything involving the computer i leave it off for at least a half hour.

2 screws, the connector, and resetting the computer. that's it! good luck!

Back