Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

replacing the TPS

Discussion in 'Under the Hood' started by explondwa, September 25, 2002.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. explondwa

explondwa New Member

City, State:
      Denver, CO
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      92 XLT
      hey all , i just bought a new Throttle Position sensor and i need to replace , what do i need to watch out for , i heard that i have to adjust the timing or something but not sure how to do it or what it involves i removed the old one and it has a number 3 on the inside the new one has 4 , what do this number mean or how to i go about replacing it ?
      :redexp:

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Phat_Bastard

Phat_Bastard Member

City, State:
      NJ
      93 LX
      I reccomend getting a manual on your vehicle. I picked one up for minw and in some cases it is vague, but can help you identify what things you may encounter during dissassembly with some brief descriptions.

I keep mine in my SUV religiously, or in every vehicle I have ever owned as a matter of fact.......

best of luck!!:p

4. Maniak

Maniak Moderator-Stock 91-94 Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Vail, Arizona
      1992 XLT 4x4
      Nothing special about replacing the TPS.. Just pull the battery cable... Pull the snow shield off the top of the intake (if you have one).. unhook the electrical connector.. remove 2 screws... remove/replace and put it back together...

When your done plug the battery back in (should be 10 minutes by now) and the truck will re-learn everything with the new TPS (which is why you took of the battery cable when yous tarted)..

~Mark

5. ChuckyD

ChuckyD Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Explorer<br>ECX Member Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Oceanside, NY
      03 4Runner SR5
      When i replaced mine, (super easy) i left my battery cable off for about 30 minutes...
      usually whenever i do anything involving the computer i leave it off for at least a half hour.

6. Alec

Alec Elite Moderator Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Houston, Texas
      2008 JK
      2 screws, the connector, and resetting the computer. that's it! good luck!