1. Tip...
    If you hold most smartphones sideways
    you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Replacing Things!

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by LittleGreen, June 27, 2011.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. LittleGreen

LittleGreen New Member

City, State:
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    1996 XLT 4.0
    Well, I was looking at my new rear bumper the other day that Geico so graciously purchased for me, and I noticed some problems. The driver side leaf spring shackle has rusted to the point where I can see through it, and the other one looks like it is about to get to that point. So I am going to replace both of them. My question is as long as I'm going to be down in that general area of the X, what else should I replace/check out? And, also where would a good place to get these parts be?

Another thing: My front diff input shaft seal is leaking, how difficult is that too replace?

And the driver side of my transmission crossmember looks like it collided win something pretty dang solid. I'll see if I can get some pictures up, but, in the meantime, should I worry about this?

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. gavin

gavin Elite Explorer

Media:
    Albums:
    City, State:
    Anchorage, Alaska
    '97 Explorer XLT AWD 5.0L
    you may be able to find shackles at RockAuto.com

while back there, if you have the capability and tools, wouldn't hurt to replace the bushings that go in the leaf spring eyes.

as for the front diff; you say input seal. You mean pinion seal? Pinion would be where the front driveshaft bolts to the differential.
    Between 2 different front axle housings, and rebuilding one of those 2, I've always had a bit of a leak. Very very tiny. I've also always had a constant "leak" on the passenger's side axle tube. Albeit very tiny "leaks" if you even want to call it that. Ever so slightly losing tiny amounts anyway.

as for the transmission crossmember... would have to see how bad it is. If the vehicle drives/tracks straight (ie, alignment is good), I wouldn't worry about it.

4. Jason c

Jason c The Dark Knight

City, State:
    Portland, OR
    2000 Limited 5.0L
    Check the hard brake line that runs across the rear diff. If your shackles are that rusty, the brake line can't be all that good. I noticed mine was rusted when I replaced the shackles and shocks on mine. I believe it is the 52" standard thread line that will fit. You might want to order the bushings in the leaf springs as mentioned earlier. The bolts will probably be rusted to them and need to be changed anyway. I found that out the hard way.

5. drdoom

drdoom Well-Known Member

City, State:
    VA
    2005 Eddie Bauer 4.6L 4X4
    Do a maintenance on the spare tire & winch. Grease the cable, and shoot plenty of WD40 in there. Clean & paint the rim.

And a big +1 on the brake line.

You will want to pick up a small tube of dielectric grease, and grease any connectors on the wiring harness that you come across.

PS: Advance Auto Parts usually has the shackles. They come with new bushings & bolts.
    http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_Leaf-Spring-Shackle-Dorman---OE-Solutions_22148132-P_2180_R|GRPSHOCAMS_1758988211____

Last edited: June 27, 2011
  6. LittleGreen

LittleGreen New Member

City, State:
    Colorado Springs, CO
    1996 XLT 4.0
    Well, when I was down there I was looking at the hard brake lines and they seems to be in pretty great shape. And yes, the leaf springs seem to have some surface rust.

7. Joe Dirt

Joe Dirt Explorer Addict

07 Camry
    If you're going for stock shackles, check your dealer. Amazingly, my dealer was less expensive for new OEM Ford shackles than AutoZone or Rock was for the cheaper aftermarket ones...