Replacing timing rear chain cassette. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Replacing timing rear chain cassette.

bobberdoo

Reaction score
City, State
Minneapolis, Mn
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer Sport
How do you replace th broken cassette I have the new cassette and it doesn't seem to fit, it gets wedged...won't fit in slot. seems too wide? Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

remove engine. i don't remember if the the head comes off. haven't done one of these in a while, i know you need a new plug since there is a 8mm bolt holding it in, or a t30. and you need cam timing tools to put it in since you have to drop the gear off the cam.

inserting rear cassette

Do you have the Ford parts or aftermarket parts?

It is not necessary to remove the head to install the rear cassette.

I ran into a problem while attempting to install the Ford new rear cassette into my engine. There is a plastic tab near the lower end of the traction side of the guide assembly. At first I thought it was to keep the assembly in position by resting on a ledge in the head while inserting the guide assembly lower mounting bolt. However, after loosely installing the lower mounting bolt, I noticed that the tab was binding against the head casting and keeping the upper end of the traction side from being in position for the upper mounting bolt. I rechecked the part number (4L2Z6M290AA) and confirmed it was for the Explorer SOHC V6 from 1997 thru 2005. Fortunately, I did not torque any of the bolts so they could all be reused. I don't remember any of the assembly instructions mentioning the tab. I pulled the right cassette out and scraped some sludge coating off the head casting. The red arrow in the photo below identifies the tab that was causing the installation problem.
TabRCst.jpg

I pushed the jackshaft forward and tried again to install the cassette. After several minutes of twisting back and forth it finally dropped into position.

It appears in the photo below of my old cassette that it also had the tab.
RCasset.jpg

did u have to but the whole timing chain kit. like did u have to but two. or can u just buy one? like the rear one?

individual cassettes

Ford sells the cassettes individually. You can no longer purchase the left front or right rear guide assemblies as a separate item. You have to purchase the entire cassette (guide assembly, chain, and sprockets). I doubt that Ford offers a complete kit like the aftermarket vendors.

The rear cassette can get hung up on the inboard rear most head bolt, one of the smaller ones with the E12 fitting. Backing this bolt out a l bit allows the cassette to go in with ease. Obviously the E12 bolt then needs torqueing back up.
I bought the rear cassette from tascaparts.com for about $70

what is the name of the cap or part number for the cap that you must take off in order to access the bottom bolt of the rh timing cassette?

Back