Replacing trunk hinge - trunk misaligned | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Replacing trunk hinge - trunk misaligned

mjt343

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer
Hi Guys!

I backed into my garage with my trunk open and the impact was all on back right side and that bent the hinge. The trunk wouldn't fully open or close. I ordered a hinge and expected this to be an easy fix. I finally got the two bolts off that connect to the lift gate open to the frame (for lack of better term) and then it shot up because of the pressure from the black arms (sorry I'm drawing a blank on the name).

Either way, now i can't get the rest of the hing off of the frame, and I can't even push the trunk down in the correct position because of the pressure from the black arms. Have I completely screwed myself here? At this point, I'd be happy just to get the trunk safely, permanently closed. Any suggestions??

obPtmCh.jpg

TkVu1sc.jpg

1IqE7jB.jpg

JA7fMRN.jpg

Looks like you need to remove the struts (the black things) - they have a socket that presses over a ball. Use a small screwdriver to snap the black plastic piece the holds the ball in the socket, then just pull it off the ball. Good luck.

If I am reading your post correctly, you may can remove the bolts that hold the rear hatch to the body and see what you can do from there. I can't remember,no think they are 8 mm bolt heads.

Same thing happened to me, there's a lot of pressure on those struts, have someone hold up the tailgate to take the weight off the struts while you pop them off with a small screw driver. Then you should be able to maneuver the tailgate around.

Be warned, without those struts there's nothing holding up the tailgate, don't let it swing down and smash you.

Back