Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

replacment shocks which ones

Discussion in 'Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits' started by Tazkb, July 20, 2011.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Tazkb

Tazkb New Member

City, State:
      Bolton Lancashire UK
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      ok guys I would like to replace mu shocks, now I live in the UK so I am not sure what's available over here, anyway is it best/worthwhile replacing my shocks like for like, i.e using OEM shocks or is it better to junk the air suspension on the rear and replace with normal shock's ? I must admit the compressor is getting very noisy and I'm not even sure if it's working very well anyway ?
      I am on a limited budget so what would be a good all round set of shocks to fit both front and rear's, i do go off road some times so it would be good if the new shocks where heavy duty-ish, it's a 1997 4.0l explorer
      thanks guys

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. SkyJumper

SkyJumper DISABLED AIRBORNE VET Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      SW Florida
      1999 Expedition XLT 4x4
      Bilsteins, KYB,

4. Anime

Anime EF YEAH!! Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      2018 EX Sport Concept
      The air suspension is nice if you do a lot of towing or carry heavy loads, but otherwise it's expensive to maintain and replace, so if you don't feel you need it, you could probably actually make some money if you remove the rear shocks and compressor and sell them off to someone who wants the air suspension. Of course, you could also keep the compressor and mod it to be used for on-board air inflation duty as well.

As for shocks, you could go with OE if you were pleased with them and get a good price, but generally you can get much better aftermarket shocks for less money. If you keep the rear air suspension OE front shocks or similar to OE aftermarket would probably be what you want.

Bilstein is a good top of the line shock if you want the best of the best. They are a monotube design which gives ultimate control and a firm ride. Usually fairly expensive though.

KYB makes a few different shocks in a few price ranges, but they are all good.

There are probably a few other brands in the UK that most American Explorer owners wouldn't be familiar with, so maybe some other UK or european Explorer owners can chime in.

You might just find a deal looking around at websites for local auto parts stores, or any websites that sell Explorer parts and ship to the UK. Sometimes stores or brands have a "Buy 3 get one free" promo, or similar discounts for buyers in the market for a new set.

Check around and see what's available, if you do your homework and get a brand name at a good price, it would be hard to go wrong.