Reprogramming transmission

Craig Roush

Reaction score
City, State
Greenville
Year, Model & Trim Level
2009 Explorer XLT
Hi, new member here,
I have a 2009 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4 with the 4.6L. I put on larger tires, 265/70R17. I was wondering what would need to be done to reprogram the transmission to recognize the larger tire size.
Thanks

what was the previous tire size..... depending on how much bigger the tires are it might not be worth your money to correct the speed and as for transmission shifting issues I really doubt your tire swap will make any difference outside of a battery disconnect and letting it self learn for a day and a programer/tuner can change tire size data but they cost around $400 and you might be able to tweak it using forscan and an obd2 adapter on a computer

my stock tire size was 245/65/17 and I replaced them with a 235/65/17 smaller tire and only thing it did was made my tires cheaper and lowered speedo by a small percent 59mph at 60mph

if you went from 245/65 to the 265/70 its a 2" taller tire and at 60mph you would really be going 64

what was the previous tire size..... depending on how much bigger the tires are it might not be worth your money to correct the speed and as for transmission shifting issues I really doubt your tire swap will make any difference outside of a battery disconnect and letting it self learn for a day and a programer/tuner can change tire size data but they cost around $400 and you might be able to tweak it using forscan and an obd2 adapter on a computer

my stock tire size was 245/65/17 and I replaced them with a 235/65/17 smaller tire and only thing it did was made my tires cheaper and lowered speedo by a small percent 59mph at 60mph

if you went from 245/65 to the 265/70 its a 2" taller tire and at 60mph you would really be going 64
Yep, I went from a 245/65/17 to a 265/70/17. I'll check into the forscan. Thanks

Back