• Register Today It's free!

Restricted Air Flow

brandondox

Reaction score
City, State
San Diego,CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'04 Explorer Eddie Bauer
I had just taken the "Air Inlet Tube" on the intake side of the air box. I took the tube out on my '04 Explorer Eddie Bauer 4.6L V-8. To allow more air into the engine. I went for a test drive, and it turned out like a whole different V-8 i was driving. I had way more acceleration at 0 mph. and quickly responds at 30 mph to accelerate!! Finally it feels like I'm driving a V-8. I have read online, that the 3rd generation explorers had restricted airflow. that tube was acting as a governor. It doesn't when it is out!! :) Quick Responding, Increased Acceleration, and with today's economy, BETTER GAS MILEAGE!!! Any tips?? Questions?? ask away my friends!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Theres a tube that runs from behind the headlight into the airbox below the filter. Removing the tube leaves a 4" hole in the bottom of the airbox which lets the engine breath a bit more, but still runs through the factory air intake to the throttle body.

ahh I see now, previous comment deleted.

you learn something new everyday!

I had just taken the "Air Inlet Tube" on the intake side of the air box. I took the tube out on my '04 Explorer Eddie Bauer 4.6L V-8. To allow more air into the engine. I went for a test drive, and it turned out like a whole different V-8 i was driving. I had way more acceleration at 0 mph. and quickly responds at 30 mph to accelerate!! Finally it feels like I'm driving a V-8. I have read online, that the 3rd generation explorers had restricted airflow. that tube was acting as a governor. It doesn't when it is out!! :) Quick Responding, Increased Acceleration, and with today's economy, BETTER GAS MILEAGE!!! Any tips?? Questions?? ask away my friends!!!

Replace the intake tube with smooth tubing and get rid of those intake resonator boxes, and then you'll feel some more power from those 8 cylinders.

Replace the intake tube with smooth tubing and get rid of those intake resonator boxes, and then you'll feel some more power from those 8 cylinders.

Well, so far, with just the tube removed, i feel a difference and also managed to achieve 23.5 mpg on the highway. i also hear a difference through the engine, sounds like it can actually breathe. I was thinking of drilling holes in the sides, to provide more air. what else can i do to make her a V-8?

Check out these threads

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=190982

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=278734

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=296439

and an option that isnt as cheap as these is a cat back exhaust.

Good luck but be warned once you get hooked theres no going back. Merry Xmas

thanks man, I'll look into that air box mod. I will have to see if i have those things in my throttle body, and hopefully get them cut out too. Appreciate it man! :) any other tips??

Once you get that sorted then look into a sct x3 tuner from James Henson, one of our vendors. He will provide a custom tune that will tie all of your mods together. If you get your exhaust done and get the x3 thats pretty much the best value for money add ons done. Other options are an electric fan and underdrive pulley's. I havent done them yet so I cant really comment too much. Do a search on those and you should get all the info you need and check the stickies at the top of the modified 2002-2005 section.

Back