• Register Today It's free!

returnless questions

osteologation

Reaction score
City, State
Caro, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Sport
I am preparing to do a sohc swap in a first gen. Looks like it should be more straight forward than a v8 swap, but mucho less documented. One thing I see is in the 2 swaps i have seen one used older injectors and the one on here used the stock sohc injectors. And they both used the '97 return style fuel rail. My question is do the return style and returnless use the same connections? And can I not just run an aftermarket fuel pressure regulator and send the pressure line to motor and the other back to the fuel tank? eschewing the whole need to swap rails. thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I swapped a SOHC into my 95. At first I coundnt find a 97 fuel rail. I used the '01 returnless system and an aftermarket bypass regulator (Mallory 4305m) and Ford fuel line adapters. My fuel pump went after about 1000 miles or so. I cant (and wont) say it was the regulators fault, the truck had a little over 100K miles on it, maybe it was just time for it to go. I put about 500 more miles on it with that same setup.

Then I found a 97 fuel system, I pulled the regulator out and just hooked up the factory '97 fuel system. 20K miles and still ticking.

I still have the '01 injectors and fuel rails in the truck, I only swapped in the 97 hoses. (pressure and return to the rails, and the rear crossover line.) They bolted right to the newer rails.

What computer are you using? I ran mine off the 95 OHV computer with a custom harness. If I were to do it again (I wont, I'm doing a Cummins 4bt swap in this truck now.) I would use the SOHC computer and get a custom tune to eliminate some of the emissions stuff.

Initially I will use the ohv harness.
How did yours perform? Was it quirky?
The sohc just seems like a natural swap from what I can find.
Pretty much bolt in and rev happy extra hp.

If you run the OHV harness and comp you will have to run at least 89 octane. It will ping if you dont. The SOHC has higher compression then the OHV. Knock sensor is not used.
I couldnt get the SOHC cam sensor to work with the OHV computer, so I get a check engine light.
If you use a 91-92 computer, it wont be looking for a cam sync, so no check engine light.
The HVAC box will have to be cut out more then a V8 swap.
The SOHC wont rev as high with the OHV computer, its limited to whatever the OHV was.
The SOHC will bolt to any trans the OHV will bolt to. Unless its a SOHC trans, you will only use 7 of the 8 bolts.
The OHV motor mount brackets will bolt to the SOHC and position the engine in the exact same spot.
The OHV lower hose will work with the SOHC, I had to cut about an inch off it. Use the SOHC upper.
The fans are interchangeable. An OHV rad and shroud will work.
The starters are interchangeable.
I had to cut up both Y-pipes to make one that fit the manifolds and cleared the front diff. (A TTB truck may or may not need this.)
My intake tube is from the 01 and the air filter box is modified to work with it.

Any other questions, fell free to ask.

As far as quirky: Yes, it stalls when first started when the weather is cold, but that may be because it needs a tune-up. It will only stall once upon 1st start-up, then its fine.

If you run the OHV harness and comp you will have to run at least 89 octane. It will ping if you dont. The SOHC has higher compression then the OHV. Knock sensor is not used.
I couldnt get the SOHC cam sensor to work with the OHV computer, so I get a check engine light.
If you use a 91-92 computer, it wont be looking for a cam sync, so no check engine light.
The HVAC box will have to be cut out more then a V8 swap.
The SOHC wont rev as high with the OHV computer, its limited to whatever the OHV was.
The SOHC will bolt to any trans the OHV will bolt to. Unless its a SOHC trans, you will only use 7 of the 8 bolts.
The OHV motor mount brackets will bolt to the SOHC and position the engine in the exact same spot.
The OHV lower hose will work with the SOHC, I had to cut about an inch off it. Use the SOHC upper.
The fans are interchangeable. An OHV rad and shroud will work.
The starters are interchangeable.
I had to cut up both Y-pipes to make one that fit the manifolds and cleared the front diff. (A TTB truck may or may not need this.)
My intake tube is from the 01 and the air filter box is modified to work with it.

Any other questions, fell free to ask.

As far as quirky: Yes, it stalls when first started when the weather is cold, but that may be because it needs a tune-up. It will only stall once upon 1st start-up, then its fine.

Will it clear the HVAC with a body lift (which I already installed)?

I thought I had read that you need to use the 2.9 mounts or the oil pan from the ohv, not true?

and do you feel it was worth it? (i.e. money saved over doing the 5.0 swap)
my motor has 199k on it and while it runs pretty good its getting tired. Ive had a few low mile motors to tell the difference. But is the SOHC as much better as the +50hp rating suggests? Especially in a stick?

Back