returnless to Return style fuel conversion | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

returnless to Return style fuel conversion

I would recommend a Deatschwerks pump. Stay away from anything that says pump and Aeromotive! I got to when people would bring that sh*t to my shop I would refuse to install it. Plain junk. I have NEVER had a Deatschwerks failure! The flow of the pumps are better at the same rated voltage than the Aeromotive and they won't die while using E85. I've been selling them for years- I do tons of side work still and Deatschwerks pumps and injectors are my 1st go to. Fun fact-The Cobrajet injectors are Deatschwerks. So the data is good because Ford has verified it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Shoot.....
I the pump just shipped.
I have an aeromotive 340 pump now, and I thought I'd install a new one since everything was apart anyway. I better re-think that.
Researching Deatschwerks pumps now.

So, the Deatschwerks carries a 3 year warranty, and the Aeromotive carries a 1 year. That says quite a bit. The cost difference is also minimal.

That being said, I already have the Aeromotive pump. The other one in my truck has worked for years without issue. If nothing else, I will have a spare if the new one goes out. If I need to make another pump purchase, it will be Deatschwerks.

The new pump assembly is here already with the new pump installed, and the conversion fittings to -6an are confirmed to be correct.

Now, I wait for warmer weather (Its way to cold to be close to the ground right now) and my -6an hose and fittings to show up.
My tank is empty and motor is out for ease of hose routing. No rush anyway. Other than the rocks falling in my eyes dropping the tank, and getting the two connectors free this should be easy.

@410Fortune "As far as the fuel system is concerned in your 2000 the wiring is same between a return (95-98) and returnless system (99-04)"

My '04 is returnless. V-6. Is the 4.6 in '04 still return-type? Just wonderin'. imp

Return style the pump runs continuously there is no break in the flow of fuel and returnless the computer controls the pump and variation in speed and shuts the pump off if the pressure gets too high since there's no way for the fuel to return back to the tank, and like I said a return style the pump never shuts off and to make an easy return just use your filler neck, you can hook it to the line that runs off the filler neck or weld in a small hole on the neck with nipple and it will dump the excess fuel back into the tank with no problems

Return style the pump runs continuously there is no break in the flow of fuel and returnless the computer controls the pump and variation in speed and shuts the pump off if the pressure gets too high since there's no way for the fuel to return back to the tank, and like I said a return style the pump never shuts off and to make an easy return just use your filler neck, you can hook it to the line that runs off the filler neck or weld in a small hole on the neck with nipple and it will dump the excess fuel back into the tank with no problems
@Dee rockafella

All true and understood. Returnless depends heavily on two things, one electronic/mechanical, the other only mechanical. Fuel Pressure and Temperature Sensor, continuously tells PCM pressure level in the fuel rail, regardless of engine load or speed. PCM then controls fuel pump speed, either directly, or earlier, via Module, to maintain fuel rail pressure pretty constant.

My BIG concern, after learning this, was, what IF: FPTS fails altogether? "Dead in the water"? Ford thought of that. Provided an alternate which turns pump on continuously, dumps excess fuel pushed via a relief valve at the pump, back into tank, but at way higher than normal pressure; I've heard 100 psi. Engine runs REAL rich, may throw black smoke even, but it don't leave ya stranded. Glistening CEL warning. Gotta love Ford Engineering! (not all the time, though!) imp

The return style is 45psi and the returnless is 65 psi how are you getting up over 100psi ?

The return style is 45psi and the returnless is 65 psi how are you getting up over 100psi ?
@Dee rockafella
Easy. PCM runs pump at maximum speed if Fuel Pressure and Temperature Sensor fails altogether, the relief valve dumping it's output back into the tank at 100 psi. Without the relief valve, the pump, being a constant-volume device, would either pump up until something gave way at very high pressure, stalled under excessive load, which would blow it's supply fuse, or the pump windings burned out.

Such is life with constant volume pumps pushing incompressible fluids. Their output has to go somewhere. imp

ahh see where your going so your pressure set up has failed and it's pushing full back to the tank at Max you are saying ?

Ok, this is off the rails.

On the 2nd gen trucks, the returnless style just has the regulator at(or about) 65psi, and the regulator is in the tank dumping excess fuel. On the 2nd Gen truck the pump IS NOT pcm controlled. It is actually still a return style, except the return is happening inside the gas tank.
You guys are correct in the pulse width modulation on newer vehicles, just not what I am dealing with.

In my case, its a simple swap, other than changing out the bucket,adding a return line up to the engine bay, and then adding a regulator at the engine bay. I just need to get my fuel rail pressure down to 50psi so I can key my injector data for my bigger injectors and have my pcm accept those values. Over about 51 psi the values fall out of range in the pcm. This is the only reason for the change to a true return style with adjustable fuel regulator.

I would replace the vacuum style one on the rail with an adjustable one and bam can't get anymore pressure past what you set it at

That makes no sense. What are you talking about? On our 2nd gen's that are returnless style there is no regulator in the engine bay. Are you talking about the fuel pulse leveling out diaphram in one of the factory rails?

Also, for your info, you can't just restrict fuel. It needs to go somewhere. A return fuel line in needed.

I thought you errored up top when you said second gen twice I thought you meant 2nd and first gen the first gen return style you can do this and I know the second gen does not have a pressure regulator on the rail

yea, the wording is correct...It's a bit painful, but correct. I had to re-read it also before posting.

Apparently I got alot of dislikes lol ****ing but hurt liberals lol

@410Fortune "As far as the fuel system is concerned in your 2000 the wiring is same between a return (95-98) and returnless system (99-04)"

My '04 is returnless. V-6. Is the 4.6 in '04 still return-type? Just wonderin'. imp

In 1999 Ford changed everything to non-return fuel systems.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ahh see where your going so your pressure set up has failed and it's pushing full back to the tank at Max you are saying ?
@Dee rockafella
Yeah, almost. What happens is the eng gets max pressure, relieved by the relief valve in tank to prevent busting something, pump, hose, whatever. Runs real rich until FPTS repaired. If vehicle has a fuel pump module, that could go bad causing same thing: it controls pump speed, was incorporated in PCM maybe by 2004. imp

Back