1. Holiday Special! - 2 for 1 Elite Explorer sale!

Right now you can purchase an Elite Explorer membership for $20 and receive a two year membership!

Click Here to start your membership and get rid of the ads!

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Reverse Lights not working

Discussion in 'Modified 1995-2001 Explorers' started by Blackhawk_Mech, January 1, 2009.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. Blackhawk_Mech

Blackhawk_Mech New Member

City, State:
    Killeen, Tx
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    97 Sport 3 Door 4.0 SOHC
    While compiling a list of the problems with my recently acquired 97 Sport, I realized my reverse lights do not come on. I ran though all the basic fixes, replacing the headlights, checking the fuses and as much of the wiring as possible.

I plan on using a voltmeter to see if the wires are carrying juice, and to test my tow wire harness. Other then that, I have ran out of ideas on what it could be. Perhaps a sensor on the transmission, which is the only thing I have found while looking on the forums. I have the manual transmission if that makes any difference.

Also on a different note, my emergency brake indicator light only illuminates about twenty percent of the time and it doesn't seems to matter what position I leave it in, most of the time I get no response from it.

Added 1-2-09:
    I also notice that my hazard lights do not work. Everything else works though, lights, blinkers, brake lights. I was having a problem with the turn signals not working, but it was because the hazard light switch was activated, but nothing happens with it up.

Checked the wires and I am getting nothing on a voltmeter, not exactly sure if I was using it on the right setting but I was receiving a response on the brake light with the lights on.

I know the X use to have an alarm system installed but someone removed it. I don't think they would have connected the reverse lights to it, but it is about the only thing I can think of.
    Any info will be appreciated.

1997 X Sport V6 3DR. K&N air intake, Gibson exhaust. Cassette player and little pine trees.

Last edited: January 2, 2009
  2. Support EF

Elite Explorer 2 for 1 Sale! $20 for 2 years!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. xXExploderXx

xXExploderXx New Member

City, State:
    Monroe, NC
    94 Sport
    Don't know if you have the same setup as I have in my 94, but my reverse lights wouldn't work either. I looked at the wiring diagram in the manual and traced the problem back to a connection on the transmission. Apparently when the previous owner had the tranny dropped to replace the clutch, the mechanic didn't disconnect the plug, and broke the connector locks. I just jammed it on there, and zip tied it. It's called a 'backup lamp switch' on a manual transmission truck, or 'backup/neutral safety switch' on an automatic. Reverse lights work now. :thumbsup:

In my manual on the 97 it look like the same type of deal actually. The wires to the reverse lights should be blk/pnk, and they go back to a 'Transmission Range Sensor' (automatic) or 'Backup Lamp Switch' (manual)...also probably stuck to the side of your tranny (drivers side, right around the middle..two wires going into it).

Don't know what to tell you about the other lights. Check fuse 21 and 22.

Last edited: January 18, 2009
  4. muhl5443

muhl5443 Active Member

City, State:
    Minnesota
    '98 XLT
    your neutral safety switch prolly went bad. thats what mine was when i noticed my reverse lights didnt work. as far as the hazard lights you may need a new multifunction switch (aka turn signal assembly) it is all integrated in to one unit. i got mine from a junkyard for 25.

5. muhl5443

muhl5443 Active Member

City, State:
    Minnesota
    '98 XLT
    the digital transmission range sensor is the same as a neutral safety switch on the automatic transmissions.

6. poohbah

poohbah New Member

City, State:
    Kelowna, BC
    97 Explorer Sport
    Same issue on my 97 2-door. Anyone have a photo of the connector on the transmission? How hard is it to get to? What fuse might it be? I will also resist all of them. Thanks very much.