reverse torsion twist | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

reverse torsion twist

EB2K

Reaction score
i have read about the torsion twist raising height in the front, but can it lower it by twisting it the other way? i basically just want to level out my 2000 between the front and the back. the front is a little bit higher than the back, maybe an inch or two. will this screw up anythinbg?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes, you can.....

Sometimes referred to as a negative lift...;)

You can lower your front end by moving the torsion in the easier direction ( Less resistance )

You want to be on level ground and I would do a refernce measurement from the top of the Wheels ( Equal pressure )to the bottom of the wheel well above the tires. Make sure that both side are lowered to the same height.

When we did Trckmagics sporttrac one side was a 1/4" higher when we started.

Get an alighment afterwards to get the camber back in place. Tell them not to raise the torsien bars though.

Like Gofast mentioned. It is very easy to do, just measure first cause mine was off a bit when we started.

I dont know how old this thread is, but I red it while scrolling through some old posts. Would excessive raising and lowering of the torsion bars cause damage? I mean if you lowered it, but then wanted it back stock, but then wanted to lift it, then decided you wanted it back regular, and so on. So would tampering with the torsion bars alot cause excessive damage or wear? Thanks guys,

95explorerltd I am constantley ajusting my bars and I haven't had a problem on my '98. I had it raised first with shackles in the rear then I bought new street tires and decided I would like it lower so I brought it back down. Be fair warned when you lower the torsion you loosen the front suspension and my explorer handled mushy and horrible. I actually felt unsafe. I tightned them enough so that the truck felt stable while driving.

I lowered mine- then lifted it and now I dont like the way it handles- going back to lowering it... I feel is HANDLES much better lowered. ( explorer express )
but i read somewhere that you can get stiffer torsion bars from ford- so that is what I am going to look into-

does the ride feel better and where is the torsion thing located can somebody help me im new to the explorer and want to turn my truck into a little project

Back