RH Front Wheel Howling/Growling! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

brianp007438

Reaction score
City, State
California
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Limited 4x4
New wheel bearings, multiple adjustments, nothing changes!

It all started when I replaced my tie-rod ends... Recent (March 2010) front suspension rebuild on my 1994 Limited 4X4 but I never got around to the tie-rod ends. Finally changed them last month - simple task - everything working properly when I took the wheels off, put em back on and an awful roaring/growling/humming starts coming from the RF wheel. I figured the bearings were toast (they've got almost 100K on them) so I bought some new bearings w/ races. Packed bearings (with the cone tool!) installed everything, torqued everything to factory specs, and absolutely NO CHANGE whatsoever. I have WARN manual hubs. The thing still growls, the sound intensifies with speed, it almost completely disappears around right turns (which lifts weight off the RH wheel) and conversely, becomes louder around left turns. I now have the bearings adjusted about as loose as I can without introducing play into the rotor; I had them a little snug before, but not burn-em-up tight. I've carefully inspected the wheel area for anything rubbing, which there is absolutely no evidence of.

I should include I'm so confident this is coming from the passenger side, I have not even really looked at the left wheel bearings, which never make a peep. The car tracks straight, and there is no vibration at speed, even above 70mph, save for the growling which can be felt. Kinda. Maybe that's in my head. But it's loud! Anyone have any idea what the heck this is?? I think my next step is gonna include explosives, it's that frustrating. Please, save me from this noise!

One last thing - on the last re-adjustment (yesterday actually) I inspected the bearings: no signs of heat at all. No blue or brown or scoring at all. Shiny and new after I wiped all the grease off em. Same for the races.

could it be brake related?

I don't think so. I think the sound would intensify/change with the application of the brakes. Braking has no affect on it now.

sitting here thinking about it, the manual hubs have splined section in hub that the splined axle goes into. the non spinning axle holds the section in the hub and it essentiantly "freespools" while the hub is turning unless it is in the lock position. its a shot in the dark but try swapping the hubs to opposite sides and see what happens. it might something in the hub itself, never know.

Back