Ricks Bronco: 1and 1/2 | Page 151 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ricks Bronco: 1and 1/2

As always Rick, that rig is looking FANTASTIC!!! Congrats on the awards!!!! You deserve them!!!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Rick are you hunting stuff again?

I've been Hunting alright.
Actually I've been out hunting to find a new place to take some poser shots with the right rock, the right lighting and meeting the right land owner that will let me and a friend roam around on his land. And then take the right shots. Only needed a couple.
And I think I did it. More on that later.

Potomac-20110819-00198.jpg

Now back to reality. When I was up at Carlise and watching those hard core rock crawler guys. I noticed how the top dogs had their twin sticks up in their face where they did not have to bend down to shift from axle to axle and different ratios.
Where I have to stoop down low to get at the levers and bang away, plus a little longer lever on the fulcrum point would make things easier also.

Potomac-20110819-00195.jpg

So enter one Basketball hoop with all the right stuff and bends.

Potomac-20110819-00197.jpg

Then cut to proper length. Take a 1/2" x 13pt die.

Potomac-20110819-00201.jpg

And now...instant in your face twin sticks. Plus it's just plain nasty lookin. Not counting a breeze to shift.

The more I look at those keys hanging down off the steering column the more I dislike them...it's just so
Soccer Momish looking. Need one of those push to start buttons like some of the newer cars have.

I mean like I really need keys on this truck. There's a sequance of operations that I need go thru anyway. And if someone did figure it out it would cut off down the road anyway.
And no more wondering where I layed my keys or worse loosing them in the middle of the deep woods on a cold Jan. evening miles from home.

not gonna lie those look cool, need to make the trans shifter match, at least in height

Thanks. And don't think for one minute that idea was not put on the ever increasing list of mods to come. But now I guess I'll just have to bump it to the top of the list.
Now I'm not going to "Rat Fink" it through the roof, but somewhere close in elevation as the twin sticks. And you can bet it won't be that chrome stuff either.
For the twin sticks I used the side braces on the basketball hoop which were 1/2" rod which I used all up. Now the hoop itself is well seasoned by all the balls bouncing off the rim. A playground form of shot peening which should give it some additional strength. Plus it's 5/8".

Thanks. And don't think for one minute that idea was not put on the ever increasing list of mods to come. But now I guess I'll just have to bump it to the top of the list.
Now I'm not going to "Rat Fink" it through the roof, but somewhere close in elevation as the twin sticks. And you can bet it won't be that chrome stuff either.
For the twin sticks I used the side braces on the basketball hoop which were 1/2" rod which I used all up. Now the hoop itself is well seasoned by all the balls bouncing off the rim. A playground form of shot peening which should give it some additional strength. Plus it's 5/8".

"Rat Fink" now I know why the mod looked so familiar! Ditto 4010 on the matching shifter and your no chrome theme, especially where it can get in the drivers eyes. Me I gotta have a little chrome but trying to keep it behind me!lol

Where did you find that twin stick shift boot from? The shifters look great.

DSC08810.jpg

Kert, it's the same shifter boot that came with the Atlas. I did not modify any of the twin sticks or boot for the longer sticks. All I did was to unscrew the knobs and then after threading the longer sticks to the same size threads that was on the Atlas sticks. I just installed a coupler to the ends with jamb nuts and screwed to the Atlas sticks.
This way it will be easy to remove the Atlas with the short twin sticks after unscrewing the long ones.

Now Broncobra, I bet of all people on this site that you would know the "Rat Fink". Takes us back. Keeping with the Rat Fink style, I ought to get an eight ball and drill it out, tap it and then screw onto the longer shifter. Nothing I did not do in the 60's mind you.

Potomac-20110822-00222.jpg

OK guys, I got your hint and ran with it.
Feels like I'm driving a Tank or D9 Dozer now.
Not mentioning a little more ergonomically (sp check) correct, ya that's it.

Once Ifigure out how to transfer pics to the camera memory card I'll post on how I made the tranny shifter utilizing the hurst shifter.
My old camera was a breeze to do but this piece of crap Blackberry Style is not user friendly in any part of the word.

Now Broncobra, I bet of all people on this site that you would know the "Rat Fink". Takes us back. Keeping with the Rat Fink style, I ought to get an eight ball and drill it out, tap it and then screw onto the longer shifter. Nothing I did not do in the 60's mind you.

Pool halls must have lost the 8s by the thousands during the '50s & '60 before the after market guys jumped in with the cheap imports ...would look good on Sampson, tad of nostalgia ain't a bad thing. Shifters look Righteous brother!

Potomac-20110822-00208.jpg

Shifting mechanism less shifter.

Norborne-20110822-00209.jpg

Stock Hurst handle. Is there not anything sacred on this build?

Gong to keep my eye out for an eight ball for the tranny shifter. It'll go with the black truck nice and just a touch nostalgia.

Potomac-20110822-00214-1.jpg

Cutting off the very top. Actually it was cut off more closer to the threads where you see the cut mark.

Potomac-20110822-00215.jpg

Then weld to the longer shifter handle. Could have sanded the weld down for a smooth transition...but really don't think it's worth the time for a Trail truck. Plus I don't have a belt sander which would have taken no time at all.
Really need to get one.

IMG-20110822-00216.jpg

One basketball 5/8" hoop ring + One cut down shift handle and one upcoming 8 ball tapped + Rattle can satan black ought to make for a unique and more user friendly shift handle.

Had to bend it several times to make sure there was no conflict no matter what configuration the twin sticks were in. H or L range or what gear the tranny was in.

Ok, going with more of my first Counter Cultuer hero. The late "Big Daddy" Ed Roth or better known as "Rat Fink" who did have an effect on some of my 60s and early 70 Hot Rods. Including one 1929 Model A pickup with 327 Chevy and several Triple nickel Chevy's.

After going through several of his art works I now realize that the shifter is too Limp, need a more Erect shifter. Of course the 8 ball and get rid of the chrome shifter housing.
And if your wondering why this on a Trail Rig, well some of you guys may remember that I've called this truck more then once my Hot Rod. And on a Friday or Sat night Cruise in car and truck show that's just what it is.
It's just a way of combining both my loves, Hot Rodding and 4X4s.

Potomac-20110823-00224.jpg

Now talk about an erect shifter :eek: Still got to do something about the shine.

Potomac-20110823-00226.jpg

Now that's a whole lot better.

Potomac-20110823-00225-1.jpg

Hurst shifting knob transforms to an 8 ball, well kinda.
Just tape off a round form to draw the 8.

Potomac-20110823-00227.jpg

Then spray some black over the entire Q ball and then pull of the taped circle off and draw an 8 in middle. Well don't laugh, it'll work until I get a real one.

Tuscarora-20110823-00231.jpg

And there it is, complete with a crappy hand drawn 8. Hey what you expect, that's what I was doing when the earthquake hit. Hand was a little shaky.

Potomac-20110823-00232.jpg

And the most important thing of all...The correct "Rat Fink" shifting style. Gingerly grasping the knob with pinky finger extended. :cool:

Ok, going with more of my first Counter Cultuer hero. The late "Big Daddy" Ed Roth or better known as "Rat Fink" who did have an effect on some of my 60s and early 70 Hot Rods. Including one 1929 Model A pickup with 327 Chevy and several Triple nickel Chevy's.

After going through several of his art works I now realize that the shifter is too Limp, need a more Erect shifter. Of course the 8 ball and get rid of the chrome shifter housing.
And if your wondering why this on a Trail Rig, well some of you guys may remember that I've called this truck more then once my Hot Rod. And on a Friday or Sat night Cruise in car and truck show that's just what it is.
It's just a way of combining both my loves, Hot Rodding and 4X4s.

Potomac-20110823-00224.jpg

Now talk about an erect shifter :eek: Still got to do something about the shine.

Potomac-20110823-00226.jpg

Now that's a whole lot better.

Potomac-20110823-00225-1.jpg

Hurst shifting knob transforms to an 8 ball, well kinda.
Just tape off a round form to draw the 8.

Potomac-20110823-00227.jpg

Then spray some black over the entire Q ball and then pull of the taped circle off and draw an 8 in middle. Well don't laugh, it'll work until I get a real one.

Tuscarora-20110823-00231.jpg

And there it is, complete with a crappy hand drawn 8. Hey what you expect, that's what I was doing when the earthquake hit. Hand was a little shaky.

Potomac-20110823-00232.jpg

And the most important thing of all...The correct "Rat Fink" shifting style. Gingerly grasping the knob with pinky finger extended. :cool:

Oh yeah, now you got it goin on, Linda Vaughn aka Miss Hurst Golden Girl, swooned already with the pinky posing shift...I say that you nailed the shifter when you took it upright, devils in the details and the hand lettered 8ball = money ball in the side, no slop pool...just pay up & rack 'em! Hot rod trail truck still rules long live Rick Rat's Lil Sampson rod! lol

Hahaha. I'm diggin' the 'Fink pose.

i have a neat idea for a shifter. i will pm you with it, and see if you like it. i will have to do it to my truck if and or when i put the 4406 in when i do the v8 conversion.

i have a neat idea for a shifter. i will pm you with it, and see if you like it. i will have to do it to my truck if and or when i put the 4406 in when i do the v8 conversion.

Great idea, keep us informed. Don't want to let the cat out of the bag. May have to do something like that for some other ideas I got.

I've never really shown how easy to make this truck go from a garden varity B2 to a buggy style by removing the doors, hood and front fenders in about 3 min. Not counting installing tubed doors.

http://www.youtube.com/user/UltimateBronco

Also had to take out and see how the new style twins sticks and and the lengthened ergonomically correct or should I say, "Ole School" tranny shifter does. Truth of the matter, I'd be doing this if there was nothing to test out :D

Potomac-20110818-00193-1.jpg

Post 3003

Keys dangling from the column, looked at yours then at mine and I hate the way it looks...yeah soccer mom style (on top of my "chrome" Hurst shifter & shiny aluminum pedals) all the shine has to go in my ****pit. I also will eliminate the shine on my Bully steps and on the polished aluminum fuel port. Shine only on Bars & wheels (Centerline Convo pro) but my MT's with the 35" swampers are already black. I can't seem to finish all of my ideas let alone the ones the ones I see and read in your thread, lol.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Keys dangling from the column, looked at yours then at mine and I hate the way it looks...yeah soccer mom style (on top of my "chrome" Hurst shifter & shiny aluminum pedals) all the shine has to go in my ****pit. I also will eliminate the shine on my Bully steps and on the polished aluminum fuel port. Shine only on Bars & wheels (Centerline Convo pro) but my MT's with the 35" swampers are already black. I can't seem to finish all of my ideas let alone the ones the ones I see and read in your thread, lol.

Well this morning after I misplaced my keys (It's an age thing) I decided enough is enough.
I researched those pricy keyless push button gizmos from $190 to $400 :eek: and that shot that idea plus you still need a card in your wallet in case you lose the remote gadget that sends the signal to the starter button.
Even if it was free I would not put it in this truck. I'll just loose it all. Plus just way too much electronical gadgetry that will not maybe, but will leave you hanging one day.
I need something idiot proof.

Tuscarora-20110831-00254.jpg

Tuscarora-20110831-00252.jpg

No I did not take out the steering column. This is just a spare that I'll use to modify the ignition lock.
So keeping with the "Make it yourself" that's been since day one of this build.
I'll just make the existing key hardware keyless. Plus this way I won't need another switch to start the engine.
First was to remove the ignition switch and make it so I can turn the switch without the key, now that's a no brainer ha ha.
Simple matter of removing the tumblers once the cover was removed. That's them laying on the table.

Tuscarora-20110831-00259.jpg

But once I removed the tumblers and installed switch back into the steering column and i could turn the engine on with no key. Something was just dreadfully wrong. It was the looks of key housing with no key.
Something had to be done. Enter light bulb flashing above my head.
It was right in front of me or should I say beside me the whole time ha ha.
Need to make the switch in the shape of the Old School tranny shifter.
Now I'll have a matching ignition handle.
So I needed a round shift knob. Hmm, seems that the bearings that I saved from a CV joint should do.
Then just weld onto some appropriate size rod for the handle.

Tuscarora-20110831-00261.jpg

Then the appropriate bends with fastening device so I can rivet to the key shroud, lack of a better name.

Tuscarora-20110831-00262.jpg

Now the moment of cool has arrived lol. No more dangling soccer mom keys.
Just those shifters every where. I can only hear my friends now.
"Like Uh, you really need to explain this one to me".
Only problem now is I can't stop going outside just to start truck after throwing keys on dinning room table.l
Now if your wondering, yes there is theft switch that I can bring on line.

th_M2U00456.jpg

Click on the pick

The red lighted switch is to bring the MSD box on line.
The first noise you hear are the cooling fans kicking in on the acc click. Then throw a mean shift to start. Never has starting this truck been so fun.
Those fans will eventually be started by a T-stat.

Now if I can only remeber which one of these shifters is for front axle low?

Back