Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Ridiculous CB static

Discussion in 'Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications' started by The_AntiPirate, October 15, 2008.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. The_AntiPirate

The_AntiPirate New Member

City, State:
    Rhode Island, in the rust belt :(
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2003 Explorer Sport Trac
    Got my CB hooked up in my '96 Ranger and it gets a lot of static. The way I have it set up is the power wires are spliced into a 5 amp cig lighter plug, radio is sitting on the seat with the coax running out the rear window to a mag mount in the center of the roof of the cab.

Now when I have the truck off and the keys out I can receive clear as a bell but as soon as a put the keys in the ignitions a get a tiny bit of static, switch the truck on and I get some more static, as soon as I fire it up everything goes to crap and the static is so bad that I can only hear sometimes, mostly static. Not sure what could be causing it I've heard fuel pump and all sorts of things but I don't know how I would go about correcting this.

2. Support EF

Elite Explorer 2 for 1 Sale! $20 for 2 years!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. fixxxer

fixxxer Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Aurora, Co.
    93 XLT 4X4
    Sounds like (no pun intended) the fuel pump, and ignition noise (spark plugs/wires and coil-pack) You might fix some of it by finding a better ground for the CB, also, check your neg-battery cable and the engine ground straps, usually flat, braided copper or aluminum.
    There are other, more intensive fixes but making sure everything that is supposed to be grounded, is. Do what you can with it by this method then start with inline noise filters (choke coils that filter out the RF harmonics)

4. FireZingr

FireZingr Member

City, State:
    Charleston, WV
    98 Eddie Bauer Explorer
    Best bet....... Go straight to the battery with an inline fuse with both positive AND negative leads.

5. fixxxer

fixxxer Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Aurora, Co.
    93 XLT 4X4
    If your truck is causing that much radio noise, then you could potentially solve several minor (and not so minor) issues you may have with your X, but running straight to the battery, both leads (fused within 10" of the battery) should resolve much of the noise from the C.B. I actually still have my FCC license for the CB bands, it cost $10? in 1976. KPQ4824

6. The_AntiPirate

City, State:
    2003 Explorer Sport Trac
    Thanks a lot, I'll try running it to the battery and see if that helps. It's quite interesting listening to truckers on the road. I don't want to install it too permanently because when my truck kicks the bucket [which it will in a few years] I want to move all my radio stuff into a CVPI.

7. corkey

corkey Moderator Emeritus Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
    Elite Canuck,multiple ifs offender,, and musky maniac,, i wheel and i fish,,
    99 xls,96 xl,91,08 Ranger
    hey ,, use it to find the other problems first before moving the wires,,

bad plug wires , you'll hear them,
    bad plugs,, you hear them,
    bad grounds , you hear them,

8. The_AntiPirate

City, State:
    2003 Explorer Sport Trac
    Wait, what? Use what?

9. Donner

Donner Explorer Addict

City, State:
    Natomas/Irvine
    01 Sp 03 XLT 4x4s, Scion
    Use the static you hear from your cb as a tool to isolate and repair items that need changing or adjusting. This was stated in several above posts.

10. The_AntiPirate

City, State:
    2003 Explorer Sport Trac
    Ah ok, should have got that, that's what I was going to do anyway. I'm slow tonight.

11. Donner

Donner Explorer Addict

City, State:
    Natomas/Irvine
    01 Sp 03 XLT 4x4s, Scion
    No biggie, I just wish I knew what to listen for so I could replace things :) Sometimes, there is no static at all, other times pure static except for when someone is speaking - reduce squelch - no help.

12. The_AntiPirate

City, State:
    2003 Explorer Sport Trac
    I get a constant static, only when I get a strong signal can I hear it over the static. I have my squelch all the way down and my RF all the way up, that's where it receives most clearly while the truck is off. Sometimes I can receive more clearly driving when the RF about half way and I crank the volume. If I turn my squelch up too high I just can't hear anything at all, not even static.

I'm going to try hooking the radio directly to the battery first and see if that helps, some googles tells me that cig lighter hook ups can cause a lot of static for some reason.

13. Donner

Donner Explorer Addict

City, State:
    Natomas/Irvine
    01 Sp 03 XLT 4x4s, Scion
    Search Sandy, and you'll find everything about cb radio, and everyone here that knows about it...

14. DeRocha

DeRocha NEX Vice President Elite Explorer Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
    Brockton, MA
    '93 XLT 4x4
    What make/model of CB do you have? Since you indicate your radio is on the seat it has me wondering if you have a larger built in type that requires a separate chassis ground. As the others have already stated proper grounding and a direct power source greatly reduce radio interference.

15. The_AntiPirate

City, State:
    2003 Explorer Sport Trac
    Um... this thing

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My buddy had it sitting under the seat of his truck for like 4 months, I really don't what it is [k-mart?] but it works, well, when the truck is off it does.

16. Donner

Donner Explorer Addict

City, State:
    Natomas/Irvine
    01 Sp 03 XLT 4x4s, Scion
    I'd say it was sitting there for 400 months... that's old.

17. Donner

Donner Explorer Addict

City, State:
    Natomas/Irvine
    01 Sp 03 XLT 4x4s, Scion
    Your install looks curious... why is the blue joiner on the pos cable, and what's going on with the cig lighter? Is your antenna mounted correctly?

18. The_AntiPirate

City, State:
    2003 Explorer Sport Trac
    The blue quick splices are what I used to connect the pos/neg wires from the CB to the pos/neg on the cig lighter adapter, the coax is run under the seat and out the rear window to a mag mount on the roof of my danger ranger. [lol I need a hubcap]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Maniak

Maniak Moderator-Stock 91-94 Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

Media:
    City, State:
    Vail, Arizona
    1992 XLT 4x4
    Personally, I don't like running a CB off existing wires in the truck.. Those existing wires go all over the place and thats lots of places to pick up line noise. I try to run my wire directly to the battery, staying away from the coil, spark plug wires and the ECU.

Also, you can figure out if your noise is from the power/ground wires or the antenna by disconnecting the antenna (don't key the mic with it disconnected).. If with the antenna wire disconnected from the back of the radio and you still pick up all that extra noise then you know its in the power lines. If it goes away your antenna is picking it up.. You need to move the antenna or figure whats sending the emi and silence it (i.e. fuel pumps are notoriaus for creating noise that the antenna can pick up).

~Mark

20. Sandy

Sandy Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Boston Area
    2003 Ranger Edge
    First things first, FORDs are the worst vehicle for NOISE...
    ford as other vehicle manufacturer's use the frame and body of the vehicle for grounding and that let stray static into everything.
    Second, the squelch and RF Gain need to be balanced somewhere in the middle. You can run the RF Gain all the way up but the squelch will need to be set high too.

The noise thing check out this link, http://www2.97vette.com/sporttrac/rfi_fix/rfi_fix.html
    This will help but it will not get rid of all of the noise.
    Ford made a kit a while back, not sure if you can find one but if you can add it too.
    When you turn on the key the fuel pump starts that the first increase in noise once you start the vehicle you get ignition and fuel pump noise.

The only way to hook up the CB is both leads to the battery with a fuse on at least the red wire as close to the battery as possible; some people put fuses on both lines.
    Something more you can try, may not help, but this is how I run my HAM Radio power to the inside of the Cab of my Truck...

A red and black wire, sized for the current they will carry, twisted 10 turns per foot and inserted in a 3/8" braided cable, leaving the braid a little long on the battery end. Open the braid up a little about 6 inches back from the end of teh wires and bring the wires out of the side of teh braid allowing the wires and the braid to hang free of each other.
    Then the wires and braid is inserted in Shrink tubing using four foot lengths of Heat Shrink. bring the heat shrink up to where the braid and wires are separated on one end and on the other end you should only leave enough wire out to hook up the CB.
    The red is Positive and the black is negative , the braid on the battery end is grounded to the fender-well close to the battery, where you can; the heat shrink is for protect of the braid.

NOTE: If you use a heavy gauge wire say 10-ga, you could fuse the line for 30 amps and use the wires as a power point for more than one component BUT remember that each component need to be fused for its own current draw and protection. Bring the wires inside and to a terminal strip mounted under the dash, one strip for the power and the other for the ground.

Another thing to think about... when installing any additional electrical components and when re-wiring existing components run the ground wires back to a common isolated terminal point under the hood then directly to the battery. This will reduce the stray static/voltage from running to through the vehicle and getting into every other electrical component in the vehicle.

Sorry, preaching and making things too long.

ltr,

21. The_AntiPirate

City, State:
    2003 Explorer Sport Trac
    Alright I've narrowed down the source of the noise to the antenna, with the antenna disconnected there was nothing. So whatever is causing the noise on my truck is being picked up by the antenna, everything makes a little sound, even when I run my windshield wipers or tap the brake it picks it up on the antenna and makes a corresponding noise on the CB. I think the cause is the fuel pump combined with something in the engine.

Where can I get those "kits" to reduce the fuel pump noise?