Right front wheel feel flat but is NOT | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Right front wheel feel flat but is NOT

justusgirlz

Reaction score
City, State
Seattle
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 & 1994
1994 FORD EXPLORER XLT: I have replaced the tires and installed new bearings, but I am still getting a "thunk" like I am driving on a flat. It is on the right front wheel. Not sure what to look for?? The 4WD doesn't work. Could that be part of it. U-joint? Axle?

This is a project car for my daughter and it has been fun working on it, but I cannot figure this one out.

Thanks in advance

Could be the radius arm bushings, ball joints, could be the front axle/u-joints.

If you get a 'thunk' during suspension travel the first most likely cause is the radius arm bushings are worn out and need to be replaced. The passenger side also is close to the hot exhaust so it breaks down faster than the other side. New bushings of the polyurethane variety is a good fix.

The lower ball joints on these get loose over time and will give that 'thunk' over bumps too. You can check if the ball joints are loose by jacking up the front axle on one side and either grabbing the wheel/tire and looking at the ball joint/steering knuckle, or using some sort of long lever like a garden tool or long pipe and prying up under the steering knuckle from the front to see how much it moves.

It could also be the front u-joints are rusted and seized, so the 'thunk' is the u-joint being forced to move.

If it's a project car, it's a good time to redo the front axle with new bushings, ball joints, and u-joints.

Back