Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Right (rear) timing chain cassette question

Discussion in 'Under the Hood' started by mayszs, July 4, 2011.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. mayszs

mayszs New Member

City, State:
      Jacksonville, NC
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      1998 Sport 4.0 SOHC
      I have check the left, right and main timing chain assemblies and found that only issue is the right side guide is broken and the loose chain has been hitting the upper mounting bolt so I know I have to replace it.
      If the cam position is immobilized before removing the jackshaft or cam sprocket bolts does it need to be retimed at all?
      I’m assuming that if the main and left chains are still connected and the right cam is secured in place one should be able to drop in the new chain and tighten everything back the way it was, am I missing something?

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. 2000StreetRod

2000StreetRod Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Greenville, SC
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      00 Sport FI, 03 Ltd V8
      replacing right cassette

I have replaced and retimed all of the timing chain components in my SOHC V6 without using the timing tool kit. However, there is some risk in doing so. Using the tool kit simplifies the process and increases the probability of accurate timing.

Since it is necessary to either pull the engine or the transmission to replace the right cassette and you have apparently removed the front timing cover to inspect the primary chain, tensioner and guide, I suggest that you replace the primary tensioner if it is the old style. The new style tensioner is significantly improved.

Even if you prevent the crankshaft from rotating (which will prevent the jackshaft from rotating) and lock the camshaft from rotating before loosening the jackshaft rear bolt and the right camshaft sprocket retaining bolt, when you tighten the bolts after the cassette is replaced the timing may not be accurate. The reason is there is slack in the primary chain and slack in the right camshaft chain. The timing tool kit includes tools: to hold the crankshaft at TDC; to hold the camshaft with the timing slot parallel to the head surface that mates with the valve cover; to prevent the camshaft sprocket from turning when tightening the retaining bolt; and to apply pressure to the chain to make it taught. Even if you position the crank at TDC and the camshaft to the correct position the timing will not be accurate unless the chain is taught.

The left guide assembly (not the entire cassette) may be replaced by marking relative positions of the sprocket and camshaft before removal of the guide assembly. See: SOHC V6 Timing Chain Inspection & Repair I don't know if the right guide assembly can be removed without removing the jackshaft rear sprocket. If it can be, then a similar process for the left could be used on the right. However, since your right timing chain has been striking the guide upper positioning bolt it is probably best to replace the entire cassette (chain, guide assembly and sprockets).